Thursday, October 28, 2010

So cheap it’s scary

IMG_1147

Can you believe Halloween is just days away? The days are going by SO FAST! I’m so excited for Monday though – November 1st is the first day I really allow myself to start thinking about Christmas. And I have a fun holiday event I’ll be announcing on Monday that you won’t want to miss! ;)

So anyway, we’ve had Halloween all over the place for a while now, but I’ve let the Bub kind of take over. I tried putting things out just so…and that lasted about ten minutes. What can I say – he’s like his Momma and is crazy about the holiday decor! I’m not going to fight it. :)

I’m so proud!! Sniff.

I’ve had the buffet in the foyer decked out for weeks now, but today the Bub and I finished it up with a little somethin’ somethin’ on the walls.

When we started working on that spot, our bright, fun lamp (consignment find) wasn’t looking so spooky. :) I wanted to Halloween-it-up a bit without having to do anything permanent.

We found some super cute downloads from the Silhouette site and used them to dress up the lamp shade a bit:

IMG_1143ACK! Are you dying? I adore these little guys.

I just gave them a very light coat of spray adhesive and stuck them on the inside of the lampshade:

IMG_1144 IMG_1145 

They were cut out of black card stock, and if you don’t have a craft cutter, you could easily download designs and cut them out. You may want to just find spiders with thicker legs if you are cutting them out by hand. :)

I love them so much! And how about snowmen for Christmas? Or snowflakes? DYING.

I finally made it back into Goodwill a couple of weeks ago, after a loooong time away. I found a $2 vase that was perfect for my Halloween “tree”:

IMG_1168

I filled it with some Dollar Tree netting, then grabbed some sticks from outside, spray painted them black and just stuck them in.

I know…I think I’m the last blogger on earth to do this. :) I wanted something with lots of height and it was perfect! I added some of my Pier 1 spiders ($1.50 for ten I think?) here and there, and some foamy bat stickers we had:

IMG_1154

The Spooky sign was from a couple of years ago and is just a $1 word mounted on Halloween paper, in an old frame:

IMG_1167

We couldn’t resist another spidey on the platter. :)

I found some sparkly spray paint on a recent trip to True Value, and knew I had to use it somehow:

Don’t you love that name – Titanium Silver? The little skull above was from Michael's and is a cardboard texture. A little Titanium and he was ready to go!

Our other skull head friend was an ugly plastic guy from the Dollar Tree, and because he was slick plastic, he got a coat of spray primer (also thanks to True Value!) and then a couple coats of the Titanium:

IMG_1170

I propped him up under a cloche and wrapped my cute beady stuff around it. Doesn’t he look so happy now? He’s positively beaming. ;)

The pumpkin was another cardboard-y thing from Michael's. I really wanted to use one of the Funkin pumpkins, but this little guy was only a couple of bucks – way cheaper! I sprayed it white and attached some strips of black gems in the grooves(a buck on clearance!):

IMG_1180

Our final project today was to add the bats flying off on the wall:IMG_1182

I cut out the ghost (by hand) out of window film I bought forever ago for the new pantry door. (You may remember it took me about six months to get that baby up.) I didn’t like it’s texture though – too bumpy for what I wanted. But perfect for a ghost in the mirror! Buwahahaha!! I love him!

We used the Silhouette to cut out the bats, but again, these are so easy to cut out on your own! I just stuck them to the wall using tape:

IMG_1163

I plan on keeping all of these – I think they’ll hold up another year easily!

We love our spooky foyer!:

IMG_1174

The best part – the whole thing was less than $10!

The cut outs are my favorite part by far…I’m so excited to do even more with them next year. ;)

Are you working on any last minute Halloween decorating or crafts? We’ve got a couple more little projects to work on over the weekend. That’s what the Bub tells me anyway. :)

For more Halloween goodness, click here for past projects!

 

*I was one of the bloggers selected by True Value to work on the DIY Squad. I have been compensated for my time commitment to the program as well as my writing about my experience. I have also been compensated for the materials needed for my DIY project. However, my opinions are entirely my own and I have not been paid to publish positive comments.*

60 comments:

  1. sarah you're just amazing. your spooky touches are so inviting! :) i hope you saw Modern Family this week, it made me think of you and your halloweening and whatnot. I can't wait to see what you do for the holidays. hugs, laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this so much, it's ridiculous! I can't decide what I like best! The uniquely decorated pumpkin? The halloween tree? The bats on the wall? The sneaky spider on your door? The orange pumpkins stacked together making sort of a Punkin Statue??


    So inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great!! This is one of the best Halloween additions I've ever seen. The flock of bats is inspired! The cut-outs on the lamps are delightful! The whole thing is just really, really cute! Happy Boo Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! I like this kind of Halloween decor:) And I agree- the lampshade idea could easily be changed out for Christmas or another holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those lamp shade decals are darling. So cute. And I like the bats as well. Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your entryway is spook-tact-ular!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea for the Silhouette shapes! I don't take many pictures at Halloween so I was not sure if I should buy any of those discounted shapes!! Now I might! LOL :) Nice work :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! I wish my kiddos were younger... not really ;) but it was so fun decorating when they were young! What is that white pumpkin, did you make that, what are the black things stuck inside of it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so in love with the bats and the spider lap shade. This is hands down my most favorite Halloween decor blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely love it! The two things I love the most are the fact that it was under $10 and that your son got to participate in putting it together - that makes it a win win!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great ideas and so cheap, who could pass on those spiders and bats?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This wa a wonderful front door display....like I said before you don't have to use 'Orange Purple and Black' for Halloween! Great Job!
    Oh, I saw the same Skull at the 'Dollar Store' too. I am so glad you painted him....now he looks great!!!
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the bats! Too bad I'm too lazy to cut some out by hand... darn! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the bats! I so very much enjoy seeing your creativity and allowing it to inspire others. Thank you for the motivation to just do something because it makes us happy to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your foyer too! It looks fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love those lampshades - way too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the lampshades Sarah! And, I can so see them changed out for Christmas!! Snowflakes would be darling. We mostly decorated for "fall" rather than specific to Halloween. Guess that kinda happens when your kiddos are older.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are so cool! I am going to steal the bat idea from you. I love the look! Thanks for sharing it! ~Ames

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is so absolutely adorable. I just love the fact that you have a "Halloween tree" :o)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the little pumpkin with the gems in the grooves. You can actually use that for ordinary fall decorating too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your foyer is just the cutest I've ever seen!! I love that you have a Halloween tree! CUTE!!

    Shopper Gal
    http://www.shoppergal.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. It looks great, Sarah! Love the spider lampshade and that it's just temporary!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the bats too and the lamp!! I may use that one!!!
    you would love a to see what I did with a garage sale frame...
    http://cleverlyinspired.blogspot.com/2010/10/garage-sale-frame-my-favorite-piece-of.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh. MY. Stars! I love your bats on the wall!!!! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  25. So cute! I love the ghost on the mirror... spooky! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Soooo cute! Favorite elements? The bedazzled pumpkin, the tree. Can totally use those ideas for other holidays....and the lampshade silhouettes as well. Oh heck...it ALL my favorite! You always rock it out. And your little guy must have his Mama's talent!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is SOOOO awesome! I love how much you were able to do with such a small amount.

    ReplyDelete
  28. GREAT! I bought some great bats somewhere... (it's been that kind of October) but they came with their own sticky dots that are crap. I need to get them back on the walls for the 31st at least. LOVE the ghost in the mirror - totally going to steal that. I'll do a Halloween foyer post on Sunday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I LOVE the spiders! Oh my gosh! So cute - especially the one on the door. And the bats are a GREAT idea. Do I have enough time to make them?!!! We'll see! I have one more project - luminaries...I'll have to link up as soon as possible! Love your blog Sarah - seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great halloween touches! I need to get more Halloween decor!

    ReplyDelete
  31. it looks spooktacular! i love that folded up the bat wings. how clever and it REALLY makes them look so much cooler! nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love your room. The pumpkin with the gems is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh, I love it all! Especially the silver/grey dollar store skull. I picked up that hideous guy, too, and made him over, but in black... the grey makes him look totally different! Loves it!

    Betsey at b.bar
    www.bybbar.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh, that little spider is too dear!! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love it, love it, love it! The bats are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love the bats on the wall! (I mean I love it all - but the bats on the wall are over the top cool!)

    I didn't get to do any decorating for Halloween this year :( My husband has the entire house tore apart for a bathroom remodel (don't ask how it's all over the house, it just is.)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Can you please come over and decorate, organize my entire house?? I have an old 1970's split level with little or no character. I love your home! Keep up the great work and fee free to come do my home. It'll be a breath of fresh air and creativity for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Our last minute halloween decorating consists of carving pumpkins tonight and putting them outside! I'm not really a seasonal decorator, other than Christmas, but we have SO MUCH FUN with the pumpkins.

    ReplyDelete
  39. It's all amazing and so fun ...gotta admit I like the ghost in the mirror the best. Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  40. You are very creative, a true talent. I'm not much on spiders! but the you used them is very nonthreatening. I especially like the silhouettes. I'll be borrowing that idea for Halloween and Christmas. I've also posted your article on my Twitter page for my customers to see.
    Sagebrush
    http://www.PillowBazaar.com
    Decorator Pillows for economical home and office decorating.

    ReplyDelete
  41. So cute! Love the cutouts!

    http://bloggingbypictures.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  42. Robin the Super Mom from MissouriOctober 29, 2010 at 7:13 PM

    Love it!! My only suggestion for next year is to change out the 2 pieces of framed art on the wall for some Halloween-y prints. Or even use the "Eeek" & "OOOH!" prints you have on your mantel!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I loved the way you stacked the pumpkins. I would have never thought of that! I went to the pumpkin patch today and didn't buy any because they were missing their stems. I just may have to go back tomorrow bight and early!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I love the cutouts too~!!!!!! OMG!!! you are sooo creative :)

    ReplyDelete
  45. Can you shoot me a quick note? What's the Silhouette site? New to me! But love love love what you did and am very interested for my home and my 3rd grade classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Happy Halloween. You are definitely ready for it. Looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  47. You really are a creative genius! I really do not celebrate Halloween but your decorations are nice. I am waiting to see what you will be doing for christmas!

    Jacqui
    http://www.exquisitegifts4less.com
    http://www.exotictreasures4less.com

    For gifts you won'ywant to give away, and unique exotic home & garden decor.

    ReplyDelete
  48. SO Cute! It's clear to me that I need to get myself a Silhouette. I think you should have a giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Love this! It turned out super awesome!

    -Jessica
    http://metamorphouse.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  50. Awesome. Loving the lamp shade.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Total and complete AWESOMENESS!!!
    It's so great to be "Thrifty" =)

    ReplyDelete
  52. Ah! I bought the exact same shelves from Target and had the EXACT same problem! I actually tore up my receipt from Target, rolled it into a few small balls and shoved it in the holes on the back of the shelf. Worked like a charm. Great minds.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  53. First off, I LOVE your blog... you have such cute stuff here! I hope it's okay, I just couldn't help but feature your clever bat decorations in a Halloween crafts/decor round-up I just finished.. you can see it here:

    http://jamiebrock.hubpages.com/hub/Super-Cute-DIY-Project-Ideas-Decorating-for-Halloween

    Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  54. I just wanted to stop in and share a thank you foe sharing your super fun ideas! I did a few of your paper bats for this year's Halloween decor and they look great! Thanks for sharing. ~Aljan

    ReplyDelete
  55. Such fun ideas here! I've linked this post in my "A Not-So-Spendy Halloween" post today so that others can visit your blog too. Thank you for sharing your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  56. I absolutely LOVE these ideas! The ghost and the bats are my fave! I pinned this and putting it on my fan page at facebook.com/whynotmom Thanks for the great tips!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE, love, love your comments! (I read every single one.)

I occasionally have to turn off anonymous comments because of spam. If so, you can comment if you sign in with a WP/Google +/gmail account.

If you have a specific question, make sure I can answer you back by adding your email to your google/blog account! And be sure to check out the FAQs tab at the top of the site. Due to the number of emails I get, I just can't get back to everyone.

THANKS so much for reading!