Fabric ghosts in the trees

October 03, 2011

I’ve got a super quick, super cheap, SUPER FUN Halloween project for you today – it’s adorable. And the kids will LOVE it.

I had this idea last Christmas, and I doubt I’m the first to come up with it. But, really, am I ever? I doubt it. Too much awesomeness out there.

I bought a package of small Dollar Tree ornaments last year just for this project, and the rest of the stuff I had on hand:

halloween ghosts using ornaments

I used some scraps of batting (I knew they would come in handy someday!), and some muslin. If you don’t have these – you can easily skip the batting, and the muslin is SO cheap.

I just wrapped a piece of batting around the ornament, and made a hole so the top could stick out. Then I covered that with the muslin:

IMG_7250 IMG_7251

Later I snipped a hole in the muslin as well, so I could hang them.

Like I said, the batting is not necessary – I just thought it would make the ghosts a little more chunky chunky. (Which is never a bad thing.)

I used some Halloween ribbon I had to tie a “neck” around the ghost:

I ran out of that after the first few, so I just used some twine for the rest.

Then…you take a cutie patootie I could just squish him Bub and have him draw faces on them:

fabric ghosts for trees

So cute I could squish them faces!:

The faces were so precious, I just couldn’t bear to leave them outside in case it rained. So these stayed in, and we made more (without faces) for outside.

I taught the Bub how to use my camera the other day, and now I have to fight him for it every time I bring it out. (GREAT idea, really. Gah.)

He’s caught some surprisingly great photos though!:

DIY ghosts in trees 

We hung them with twine throughout the trees:

ghosts from trees muslin

We loved them so much, I dug a few more little ornaments out of the Christmas bins to make a few more. :) They hold up great to the weather too – we’ve had a ton of rain and they are doing great.

They are SO CUTE swaying in the wind. They make me smile so BIG when we drive up to the house.

I’m thinking about adding some felt faces to them, or maybe some googley eyes. Wouldn’t that be adorable?

So here’s my (FREE to me!) Halloween/fall craft before and after! From cheapy Christmas ornaments:

To cutie friendly ghosts swinging in the trees:

Email subscription form header
Your email:*
Please enter all required fields Click to hide
Correct invalid entries Click to hide

Comments

  1. Hey, girlie! I don't see a place to link up. :) Is my browser wonky maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The little ghosts are so adorable! What a fun and easy Halloween project to do with little ones. Thanks so much for hosting the party Sarah! Appreciate you!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for hosting, Sarah! I love the little ghosts that you guys made...my girls would love to do those--maybe adding some bling? ;)Have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your little ghosts! What fun for the Bub!
    Thanks for hosting girlfriend!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the ghost tree--fun and not too spooky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those ghosts are so cute and your son is even cuter!! He takes way better pictures than I do - hah! Thanks for hosting!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that is ghosts are happy ghosts! So sweet. :) Thanks for hosting the party! There are great things posted here already!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those ghosts are so fun Sarah!! I am going to make some with my girls. Thanks for the FUN party!!!

    xoxoxo
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for hosting!!! I love the ghosts.. such a cute idea!! I wish I had a little tree in my yard to do this to!! Thanks for sharing..

    xx Liz

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your spooky ghosts Sarah! Thanks for hosting:) Carrie - The Corson Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha! I JUST pulled our ghosties like that out of the Halloween box this evening! My girls and I made them a few years ago, but I didn't think of the ornament thing...just shoved pillow fluff batting into ours. They're our favorite Halloween decoration, and I love the face on the one my 2-year-old did...I'll probably keep it forever. :)

    Thanks for hosting!

    Aloha,
    Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the best party in town, Sarah!

    those ghosts are fun...I made them last year, even cheaper! I filled plastic grocery bags with newspaper balls, then covered them in fabric. Kids drew the cutest faces! We used Sharpie so they could stay outside. I linked mine up too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's such a great way to do these! We always did lollipops. It's such a disaster to do them that way. They either melt or ants and bugs get into them! Thanks for hosting, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for being the hostess with the mostest!
    Kerry at housetalkn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for hosting, Sarah!! I love your little ghosts! I bet your "cutie patootie" enjoyed crafting with mom!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the ghosts Sarah! I think they'd look super cute with googley eyes. I may have to make some for our tree out front. Thanks soo much for hosting!! I can't believe there's over 200 links and barely 20 people have thanked you. Where are people's manners these days?? Geez! Have a great week. =)

    ~ Catie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for letting us share our projects Sarah! And I love your ghosty tree. We have a little one right by our front door where this would be perfect--even little hands can reach it to help!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the ghosts, super cute. Kinda weirded out by the twine hanging them though, looks a little to noose-ish for me, and if the were hanging by fishing line they would seem like they were floating.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the party, linked up my potato stamp chevron that I'm still drooling over. :) I know I'm late but, uhh, I brought dip so does that get me some bonus points?

    Can't wait for the outdoor party on Thurs! Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh how nice. I wish we celebrated Halloween here, just so I could hang cute ghosts in the tree out front. Do you think I could fool anyone into thinking it were angels at Christmas.
    Thanks for the linky party! I am number 335! this party is really flying off.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So cute! Great idea to use ornaments so that you have a way to hang them.

    Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a sweet and simple project. Did you make a lot of them for the tree?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Loved reading this post. Thanks for letting me link up to your party! I tried to post your button on my blog, but when I tried to copy and paste nothing came up?

    ReplyDelete
  24. The ghosts are adorable! And the faces definitely 'I could just pinch those little cheeks' cute!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Those ghosts are too cute! Love 'em!
    Thank you so much for hosting!
    xoxo,
    Vanessa @ {nifty thrifty things}

    ReplyDelete
  26. My kids would love those ghosts! Thanks for hosting!
    -Shelley

    ReplyDelete

If you have a specific question I will do my best to answer you back here!

You can find our paint colors and links to items at the "Our Home" tab at the top of my site.

THANKS so much for reading!