Decorating With Poinsettias for the Holidays

December 05, 2011

Simple and pretty ways to decorate with poinsettias this holiday season.

I’m sharing some simple decorating ideas with a lovely little holiday plant you may have heard of…the poinsettia.

I have long loved this plant, but have NEVER purchased one for our home. I have a friend who gets a few every year, and I have always been jealous of her bright red beautiful flowers.

You see, we’ve had cats as long as I’ve lived, and I had always heard poinsettias were toxic to animals and other pets. A few years ago I found out that is a myth

When I found that out, I was excited to add some to my holiday decor! 

I was thrilled when the folks at Ball Horticulture in Chicago provided me with a few poinsettias to use this holiday season:

pink white red poinsettias

I got two Polar Bear Whites, one Mars Pink and one Christmas Season Red. They were hand delivered to my door and I was giddy when they arrived!

I had grand plans to incorporate them into some holiday displays, but to tell you the truth, they’re too big and beautiful to fit well into the spaces I was planning on. I ended up just using them alone here and there. 

I’m not really a pink girl, but the Mars Pink poinsettia is SO pretty. I put her (yes, her) in a simple white pot near the Christmas tree:

Mars pink poinsettia

I wanted to house each one in something a bit different, but use what I already had around in my decor stash. 

I found an awesome blue cut out ceramic container at Goodwill a few months ago and thought the Polar Bear White would look wonderful in it:

Polar bear white poinsettia

This isn't really mean to be a planter, but keep your options open! 

It looks like it was meant to be in my office! LOVE the white leaves with the blue ceramic! This is one that will stay up all year (if I can keep them alive!).

The Christmas Red one is my absolute favorite though -- I am all about the contrast of the deep red poinsettia leaves with a white planter from IKEA:

decorate with poinsettias

I LOVE the look of the traditional poinsettia mixed with the modern white container. I didn’t even replant them by the way, just dropped them in. 

I loved the pop of red in the kitchen so much, I decided to use it on the table too. I wanted to cut the flowers to use in the centerpiece, but when I did the first one, it wilted like crazy. Then my friend Beth mentioned that you have to sear them with a candle flame. I had no idea!

How to display cut poinsettia blooms:

“Searing will stop the milky sap from leaking out of the plant while still allowing the stems to absorb water. 

When you break off a poinsettia leaf or stem hold the area excreting sap over a candle flame until it bubbles and sears the area. It will turn black in the areas where you do this, but it won’t detract from your decorating. 

You will know if you seared the stems correctly based on their post perk or droop. If your poinsettias begin to wilt in your vase, try searing the stem once again and return them to water. 

Also, you shouldn’t see a milky stream in the water. The water should remain clear.”

Did you know that? I had no idea! I did it just how she described and so far so good! 

I placed a couple cuts in each little bottle I keep in the kitchen centerpiece:

cut red poinsettia stems

I love how full and pretty these are -- you don’t need many to make a BIG statement. Cut poinsettias would look beautiful with some fresh evergreen stems as well!

More ways to decorate with poinsettias: 

  • Place a bunch of smaller plants in a large basket, decorative metal containers or a rustic wooden crate for a big impact.
  • If you live in a warmer climate, display your plants on the front porch in planters.
  • Put your poinsettias in deep, holiday-themed bowls or serving ware.
  • Wrap the plastic pot with fabric, burlap or ribbon and leave the bottom open so you can easily water.
  • Make a statement by adding smaller plants on each step of your stairs. 

Now my little caddy that holds our sugar and syrup is all business in the front:

table caddy for sugar and salt

Poinsettia party in the back:

poinsettia table centerpiece

The pops of red on the counter and center of the table look so great with my little candy cane ribbon wreaths that I hang from the backs of the chairs:

poinsettia centerpiece ideas

I used to go wild with the Christmas decor in the kitchen. I’ve been toning it down a little every year, but it looks just as festive:

poinsettias on wood table

Little pops of Christmas are just as powerful, believe me! :)

I can’t get enough of red this time of year. Love it!!

red poinsettia decor on table

Fun facts about poinsettia plants:

  • Did you know they HATE cold? I found that so interesting, considering we mainly see them in the winter.
  • You can keep them all year round. See how to keep poinsettias alive all year here. One of the ladies I used to work with would tend to the poinsettias we got every season and keep them alive all year.
  • I know I already mentioned it, but I think it’s worth reminding that poinsettias are NOT toxic to animals. I hear the taste deters any animal (or human) from trying them more than once. ;) If you have any hesitation about it, just keep them up high away from your animals and kiddos.

I for one, am THRILLED that we get to welcome these beautiful blooms into our home every Christmas season now!

Do you buy a poinsettia every holiday season? Any luck keeping them growing all year?

Never miss a post by signing up to get posts via email. 
Email subscription form header
Your email:*
Please enter all required fields Click to hide
Correct invalid entries Click to hide

Comments

  1. Love the wreaths you have on the back of the chairs! Now I am off to burn the ends of my Poinsettias...if my house burns down I am spending Christmas with you
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all your poinsettias! Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love poinsettias and my house is full of them at Christmas. As a child, I remember a neighbor picking the flowers from her very large poinsettia plant(about 6 feet tall) and burning the ends of them. Thanks for hosting!
    I love the wreaths on the back of your chairs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a big fan of the contrast of the red and white together. I think that's my fav combo for the plants. But... They all look lovely!

    Thanks for hosting! This year did fly by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore pointsettias, and the pinks are my fave =) I'm a veterinarian, and I can't count how many times we'd get paniced phone calls about cats who ate pointsettias. They can cause mild-moderate vomiting/diarrhea, but that is in the worst cases...usually, nothing. I have them in my house each year, and I have pets =) PS, I am from Vancouver, so I think it is very cool that you have a bit of Van in your home right now =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am SOOOO excited to hear that they are truly non-toxic! I've been without them in my home, like you, because we've always had kitties. Joy to the world! I'm getting a poinsettia this week :-) Thanks for hosting the party...I'm linking up my dining room wall!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun post! Thanks for the tips! I still need to buy mine. Thanks for hosting!...hugs...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. A supplier my husband uses has an AMAZING poinsettia they've had ever since they opened their location near us. Like 15 - 20 years. It's an amazing, exotic looking huge bush/tree like thing now. Fills a 6 ft by 6 ft area.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your poinsettias are gorgeous, Sarah! I love the white flowers, they are my favorite! I had no idea they could last all year, mine barely make it through Christmas! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those plants are gorgeous...my accent color is pink this Christmas, I need to hunt down some of those pink ones!! Thanks for the fab party...my constant refreshing paid off! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have always thought they were poisonous! That's good to know.

    They are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OH my gosh. I did NOT know that they weren't poisonous. I bought a couple from a girl scout and put them up high but darn it if those things aren't going to be on my hearth tomorrow. So glad you told us!! Oh, and thanks for the party. I haven't linked up in a while so I'm happy to be here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your decorations are so pretty! Thank you for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love poinsettias at Christmas! I've never tried to keep them beyond January though - I'm kind of ready for a change by then! Have a great week!
    Jenn :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the subtle festive touches. Your poinsettias look great in the kitchen. Thanks for hosting this very inspiring party.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just make sure you don't let the kitties eat the poinsettas! They're incredibly poisonous to cats :(

    Thanks for hostin!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just put 2 and 2 together about why all of you have been blogging about poinsettias.... Funky Junk went to lunch with the lady you first mentioned! Got it~ :) I will tell you that I was able to keep a poinsettia alive until the following October, it was the size of a bush! It planned on bringing it in for the holidays but we had one of those crazy weather days in Texas where the temp unexpectedly dropped 30 degrees during the day. They don't get red until this time of the year tho. So if yours makes it until spring stick it outside, it is fun to watch it grow. Love the tip about cutting and searing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love poinsettias. I also love reading comments on blogs from adults who obviously have poor reading comprehension. Poinsettias are not highly toxic or poisonous to cats or kids. Read and comprehend, please.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Although I avoided it like the plague last year, I really love red this year for Christmas! I never knew that about burning them, I will have to try it.

    Love your wreaths and all the simple touches, they make a big statement overall. Thanks for hosting, Sarah! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've been wanting to use cut poinsettias, thanks for letting me know how to make it work!!! I love your Christmas decor, not over the top, just perfect. Oh,and thanks for hosting the party! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ahh, I'm so silly! Thanks so much for the article about the toxicity of the poinsettias- now I can stop corralling my cat away from the flowers like a sheepdog! I feel like you just blew my mind. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for such a great party. I look forward to it each month. I linked a handful of items... :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love all of those poinsettias! Thank you so much for hosting!
    xoxo,
    Vanessa @ {nifty thrifty things}

    ReplyDelete
  25. Home decor ideas appeal us as we all crave to beautify our homes.There are great home decor websites which it is always wonderful to go for home decor online shopping as these online fashion stores have great range of home decor products which enhance the beauty of rooms and beds.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the white ones best! Be careful of your white rug though, mine sometimes seem to drop little sappy bits around the floor under the pot.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love poinsettias and the only reason I know that they hate the cold is from Frosty the Snowman movie!! :) Love those wreaths on the chairs!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the evergreens over your windows.

    lindajlue@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. You taught me so much in this post! I love poinsettias. Yours are so full & pretty. I haven't bought any yet this year because I'm lucky if I can keep them alive until Christmas, much less the entire year! The red are my favorite but I like the white a lot too. The red looks absolutely gorgeous in the white pot. I may have to steal that idea!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love all the vases you chose to put them in and the party in the back - ha! Thanks for hosting!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. It's a myth?! That's FANTASTIC! I thought I was cornered to a life without poinsettas - hooray!

    Also, I'm from Vancouver Island so I think it's pretty cool that you got plants from Vancouver.

    ReplyDelete
  32. The colors of your poinsettias are gorgeous...love how you put them in different pots you already had-way to be resourceful!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks for the tips! mine always die :( Hopefully this year will fare better!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great info on poinsettia's! Love that little caddie deal you have with the sugar and syrup tucked inside....where would I find something like that??? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  35. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love the post! The red is so vibrant and looks great! I can never get my poinsettias to live very long, so I bailed on the idea this year. After seeing your pics, I'll be rethinking that! Thanks for the tips! Have a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Very pretty. And a good idea for the cats is to have cat grass available for them, especially indoor only cats. Put a pot of grass near the food dish. I buy mine in the organic produce section of Albertson grocery store and others will have it. Might be labeled Wheat grass. Cats need grass.
    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks so much for this post! I have been looking for inspiration for a great post-Christmas filler for my mantle trough (also your project). By the way that trough is such an awesome idea, not to mention the distressing part was thoroughly "de-stressing" he he he. For Christmas I turned it upside down and laid a fun lighted greenery swag on top. You're the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thanks for sharing that bit of information about poinsettias, I never understood why they use to wither when I tried clipping them. My favorites are the white & traditional red.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Ahhh your mantel looks so wonderful! The before was beautiful (I do love that green S) but the after - gorgeous! Especially those Ikea lanterns (and I can't forget the little stuffed Santa - so sweet). I always love your posts, keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Everything is so pretty!

    I hate to ask you this, but I have a kitchen table very similar to yours and am trying to found a round rug to go under it. Can I ask where you got yours?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Oh, great post! I consider your blog to be the most useful for preparing to Christmas! It is so informative, so great! thanks for your big work!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I just seared a stem. Do you leave it in a vase of water like a normal flower? I'm confused since I usually kill mine and normal poinsettas are potted in soil :( Would love to hear how your separate stems are doing. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

If you have a specific question I will do my best to answer you back here!

You can find our paint colors and links to items at the "Our Home" tab at the top of my site.

THANKS so much for reading!