Priming dark walls and unfinished cabinets

May 28, 2012

Remember my list? Well the end of the month is quickly approaching and I’m not even half way through the to do list I wanted to complete by the 31st. So I decided to tackle a couple of the items and I didn’t touch anything else all weekend. I need to get a least half of the list marked off, I mean really. That’s just sad.

Last time you saw the dining room, it was kind of a mess:

OK, it’s been a mess for three months. :)

When we had the basement dry walled they patched up the spots in here for free. (They needed to be fixed because I used Liquid Nails to put up the trim in here years ago. Don’t do that if you think you’ll EVER take it down. Ahem.)

Anyhoo! This wall is the first thing you see when you walk in our house and I was tired of it being a mess. So I pulled out the primer and got busy:

primed walls

Already sooo much better!

The thing about paint – I always procrastinate it to no end, but when I get going with it, I actually find it quite enjoyable. I think it has a lot to do with the instant gratification thing.

And the fact that I didn’t have to cut in around much this time helped too. ;)

So while I had the primer out, I got the cabinets started:

primed cabinets

And today I got paint for the walls and got that going:

It’s a very light color called Abalone and it’s SO pretty. Maybe a little too pretty though –I was really happy with it till the sun started setting and the whole room looked pink.

You can’t really tell in the pics, but it’s definitely pinky. UGH. I’m trying to get rid of the pink undertones in our front rooms, not keep them.

So that is awesome. :) I’m going to look for a different color tomorrow.  It’s rare that a color I pick doesn’t work out, but when it happens you just gotta role with it – and this time I didn’t follow my own advice of painting it on poster board and leaving it in the room. :) The area above those cabinets will be bookcases and the background on that wall will be different anyway. For now I just wanted to get it looking decent and uniform.

By the way, this color would be divine in a baby girl nursery. Divine. It’s really a lovely color!

I got some trim work taken care of this weekend as well – I picked up a side panel for the end of the cabinets and attached it, then primed:

You can see on the pics above that I also got the cabinets trimmed out on bottom – baseboards and then most of the quarter round. I used scraps of what I had but I need to get more. :)

Priming the cabs really brought out the grain, which I knew was going to happen – I gave it a good sanding which helped a bit. I’m using a semi gloss white paint on them and between coats I’ll sand again.

But here’s a good idea of how it will look with hardware and the butcher block:

I’m getting really excited at how it’s coming together! Next up – finish the trim, at least two coats on the cabs, paint the walls (AGAIN), and then sand down, stain and install the butcher.

Then we can get going on the bookcases! (I’m almost ready Dad! Want to come over this weekend?)  :)

Here’s a review of what the room looked like at the start of this year:

It was a lovely room (albeit dark!), but we just didn’t use it. I was tired of that, so we’re going to make it work better for us.

And in the process it’s getting a little update. ;)

I’m SO psyched to get this moving along and have a comfy “library” to hang out in. We may have some awesome bookcases for a while and no furniture though. I’ll be scouring Craigslist for sure. ;)

So, do you see my vision for this room?

Email subscription form header
Your email:*
Please enter all required fields Click to hide
Correct invalid entries Click to hide

Comments

  1. The progress look great...don't see the pink undertones on my screen, but you want to be happy with the color. Hope your next pick is just what you're looking for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it's looking great i can't wait to see it all finished. I loved the dinning room a ton but there is something so wonderful about a bright and airy room :)
    XO
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and so many other bloggers make painting cabinets seem like a breeze. Can u suggest technique; brushes, etc? Because I decided to tackle that project and it became a big

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops...anyway...it became a big fat mess and now we are tearing them out and getting new ones. It is bitter sweet. Anyway, I love that you are making it a library! How fun!

      Delete
  4. Looking good! Loving the butcher block top!!! Can't wait to see it all finished!

    Cheers
    ~ jillian
    www.hersplitends.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow! What can I say...it's turning out FABULOUS!!! I totally love it! Hugs,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, I don't see the pink at all, but great progress on your library! I'm excited to see it all finished. We've been working on adding molding to our office this weekend. It's amazing how much time everything takes! Who makes the color Abalone? I'd love to see a paint chip. I'll be doing my little girl's room this fall and I'm looking for paint colors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to have a library in my house. Congratulations! It is sad though when the color doesn't turn out quite like you expected it. But at least you know what needs to change about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I am glad to know I am not alone. Everyone was talking about all the fun they had this weekend and I spent it ripping up carpet and painting, a ceiling even! I'm exhausted and think I am going to keep the door shut and forget about it for a day! Great job, can't wait to see it done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok wow! Even though you're still in the midst of changing that room, the progress you've made is just amazing! I don't see the pink undertones but agree with everyone else that said YOU have to love it so best wishes to you as you search for the perfect color!

    Please, please share with me where you got the UH-MAZING chandelier that is hanging in your dining room/library. It is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now all you need is a grand piano by the window... :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay for getting stuff done! I didn't get anything done this weekend even though I had quite a few things on the list. We spent all day Saturday and yesterday on the lake, so I guess the weekend wasn't a TOTAL loss, just not very productive. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay! Looks great! We worked on our laundry room all weekend until we discovered the painters tape was missing. Oops! Oh well, it still looks 100X better than it did. Hopefully we'll finish up next weekend!

    LOVE the library idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looking' good in the neighborhood! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yes... the setting sun can sure change the appearance of wall paint. The cabinets sure are nice!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! It looks so great. I don't see the pink undertones either, but if you see them in person...they exist! ;-) The hardware you chose is beautiful. I can't wait to see the finished result.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks great so far, & in the mist of doing the basement!! superwoman you are! We are redoing an entire house and it's taking FOREVER( mainly due to cost) . Where did you get your cabinets from, and I have the hardest time trying to repaint the ones we have, so I want new ones. This is my go to blog, seriously!! I show just about everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Way to go, Sarah! It's looking so good!!! You have a lot going on, thank goodness that you're an expert plate spinner!

    Love the progress, can't wait to see more!
    Take time to play and enjoy!

    xo-Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  18. How did you add the baseboard to the bottom of your cabinets? What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Sarah,
    Your room is going to be beautiful. Could you please explain how the wiring along the celing was done for the lights you will install? I've always wondered how it's done without cutting a bunch of holes in the drywall!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's so nice to see your dining room turned usable room. I recently began (not finished, as Mr. reminds me. often.) turning out dining room attached to the kitchen, separated by bar, into a project room the whole fam can use. It's already so much better, friendlier and comfortable. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I always had that "pinky" problem too! Ugh, it's infuriating! I finally found the PERFECT color (I think it's Olympic... Or maybe Valspar... Anyway, it's from Lowe's)! It's called Oatlands Subtle Taupe, a nice grey-beige with SUPER subtle green undertones. So lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am loving watching how your dining room turns out! In our new house the front room (living room...family room...I am never sure which is which) is going to be an office so I am debating turning the dining room into a sitting room too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I agree with you on painting. I don't mind the actual painting. I kinda like it but I don't want to wash brushes & that stuff. I can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ugh, pink in the new library (which I can totally see in my head) would not be the right thing. Good call just cutting your losses and moving on.

    Jessica
    stayathomeista.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm enjoying watching you transform your dining room to library. It's beautiful. Could you please share where you got your hardware? It would be perfect for my bathroom reno.
    Thanks,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just wanted to say that I was so excited to find your blog and see this! I am getting ready to do the exact same thing in my dining room and I've been searching Pinterest for some ideas and direction! Our dining room is HUGE and is such a waste of space and we are DESPERATE for storage! I will keep tuned in to see an update on your project!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I agree with Sarah. thank you so much for taking the time to photograph each step and explain it so well. I have always wanted to do more diy projects. But just didn't know how and didn't know anyone to help me. Now I don't have the strength. But I have a pretty good handyman. Now Im going to copy and paste the projects you done I want to copy. And there are many. Happy Trails

    ReplyDelete

If you have a specific question I will do my best to answer you back here!

You can find our paint colors and links to items at the "Our Home" tab at the top of my site.

THANKS so much for reading!