How to match paint colors to photos

July 19, 2012

Soooo…remember that loooong list I made weeks and weeks and WEEKS ago? Well, it’s still not done. Mostly done, kinda. But not done. I did get some big things off the list, and one of them was the powder room that’s been in shambles for well over a year now.

Shambles my peeps. A YEAR. Year and a half now? I thought it was less, but no. A good 18 months.

It started out like this:

dark brown bath with white trim

It was fine for a while, but geesh, it was SO dark. And brown. With more brown.

And then one day I could not handle it anymore. The trim in here was never done to my liking (more on that in another post), and I was just SO OVER the chocolate brown.

So I decided to take the trim down and paint it. And I got as far as the ceiling:

dark brown powder room

It’s sat like this (notice the fan cover missing?), with meeeellions of holes in the walls, random stencils and curiously enough, those chocolate brown walls I couldn’t stand anymore (hmmm), for about six months.

This is because I came up with about 50 other things I want to do in this little room…so I kept putting it off.

Then last fall I was having a party and freaked out and slapped a coat of paint on the walls. And by “slapped a coat,” I mean no cutting in, brown bleeding through, painted around the mirror and didn’t even take it down.


cutting in lighter color over dark painting blue over brown 

And I thought that was better than the dark brown??? Oh my.

I liked this look so much, it stayed like this for nine more months. Did I say this room has been a mess for 18 months? I meant two years.

Anyway,  a couple weeks ago we had another party and I was SO fed up, I finally cut in and then took the mirror down and finished the first coat I started eons ago:

blue powder room

I didn’t even do the second coat though, because as I was painting I was deciding I didn’t want to keep it this color. That’s what it’s like living with me people…aren’t you glad you don’t have to? :) I mean really, it’s been two years, it’s time for a change.

I am moving to gray/blue tones in the rest of the house and I want this little room to be FUN. So I found my inspiration for the FUN – a painting the Bub painted for me for Mother’s Day:

I know, it’s brilliant. I know.

I love the colors in the painting, and I am determined to use at least a couple of them. Bare with me – it’s going to be good. (In my head it is.) There’s lots more going on in here I’ll tell you about soon, but for now I need to figure out the perfect paint color.

So I used a photo of my son’s Picasso-like talent art to find matches on the Sherwin William's site – and it pulled out a perfect reddish pink color:

Sherwin Williams chip it

It’s the Fireworks color and it’s not too red, not too pink (this is a room the hubby and kiddo use after all). I’ll have to take a look at in the room to see how it works, but I thought it pulled some really pretty colors from the art.

So, do you think I’m crazy for the blue/reddish idea? I swear it will come together…I’m willing to place bets. ;) At this point, I’m just happy that after three years I have a bathroom that has a fan cover and looks presentable, at least at first glance. Don’t look too close, please.

See how this powder room redo turned out here

See more of our home here. 
To shop items in our home, click here! 
Never miss a post by signing up to get posts via email


Email subscription form header
Your email:*
Please enter all required fields Click to hide
Correct invalid entries Click to hide

Comments

  1. How much do you love the Chip It!!?!?!? SO amazing right...i posted about it this week too...too fantastic not to share!!

    Cheers
    ~ Jillian
    www.hersplitends.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, you've managed to pull off colors that amazed me, so no doubt you'll do it again. I can't wait to try Chip It! I love the Parakeet, Lagoon and Fireworks especially and just to add another idea with the others tumbling around in your head, what about Parakeet walls and accent with Fireworks and Lagoon and Bud's excellent painting framed would pop!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love both colors so can't wait to see what you do! I also never heard of Chip It and that is inspiring! Holy smokes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so going to get chip it! Love navel. The color not the belly button.

    ReplyDelete
  5. um, HELLO COOLEST THING EVER! I LOVE IT!! Thank you for sharing! I am totally obsessed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to see how this turns out! I love the red and blue idea...been really liking all the coral and navy I've been seeing out and about!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just started working on our family room and we painted the walls light blue to go with our red couch. I was super nervous, but the colors are so pretty together. I can't wait to see how your powder room turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun, I need to chip it. Can't wait to see what you do next. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really need to try this out! Love the colors it pulled for you. We used Obstinate Orange in my son's room. What a fun space...can't wait to see what you do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chip It is fun :-) Now...go get that bathroom done!

    My friends had a bathroom left in an undone, peeled-shiny-wallpaper-mostly-off-of-the drywall for 9, yes nine, years! I don't know how they lived with it that way. The end result after their re-do was beeoooteeeful!

    Now...I say again, get that bathroom done :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seriously??? Like I need more ways to waste, er spend, time on the computer instead of getting things done ??? Just kidding - this is a very cool tool - I could (and probably will) spend hours playing with it ...

    Thanks!
    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know if I should thank you or smack you for suggesting the Chip It tool...like I needed another thing to play with on my laptop!!! But seriously, I absolutely LOVE it and can't stop. One day I really need to get off the laptop and start painting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that light blue/gray color! I really love the red/pink as well though, can't wait to see how it looks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm excited to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow.. I'm so envious. I am scared of painting; I wear more than gets on the walls. I love your new color scheme; can't wait to see it when you are done!

    ReplyDelete
  16. If it makes you feel any better, I started my little girl's room last spring a few months she was born and promised myself to finish it before she turned 1. She's now 13 months, and her room is no closer to being finished. It'll be my luck that by the time I'm done, she'll be old enough to tell me she doesn't like it. Heh!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Definitely going to have to check out Chip It!! That is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  18. oooh, can't wait to see this. I think we end up liking the things that are risky all the better in the end. And I'm always comforted to know that I'm not the only one that paints one coat, leaves it for year (ie. my spare room), then decides that it might need a color change;)!!! I am the queen of ALL that!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your blog was the first I read. I have found solutions to many of my decorating concerns by reading and viewing your work. My home is much like yours. I have that corner fireplace and TV placement situation. When I moved here three years ago in August, I started a slow redo. The powder room had rodeo cowboys wallpaper and stars on the lights which was "cute". Under that was another layer of large ugly flowers from the 90's. Finally got it back to the drywall and the primer on last summer. I cannot wait to see what you have planned. Good things come to those who wait. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the "chip it tool". Going to check it out now! I will definatly use this tool for my next room painting project!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Way to go Sherwin Williams! Chip It! seems amazing! I look forward to seeing the transformation of your powder room. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ooh aah, me likey! Firework is such a nice shade. So sweet that you are decorating with your son's picture in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Can't wait to try ChipIt! That is brilliant. If you do go with those colors I hope you frame Bub's art and hang it in there.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I sent you an email with a link to Chip IT, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I thought *I* was the only one that left a half-bath half-painted for more than a year. Sigh. And I went ahead with another major project before finishing that one. . .and now school has started. . .if nothing else, blogs keep you accountable!! Can't wait to see what you do with this space :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am now obsessed. I've chipped every photo I've saved on my computer for the last 5 years. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. love the chip-it...had never heard of this so thanks for passing it on - now I can take some of the photos from pinterest and get the paint colours

    Cheryl from Ontario

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the blue color you used? What is it?

    ReplyDelete

If you have a specific question I will do my best to answer you back here!

You can find our paint colors and links to items at the "Our Home" tab at the top of my site.

THANKS so much for reading!