How to add a decorative toilet handle

April 11, 2013

Today’s topic – toilets. Get excited.

Well, just the handles on toilets. I could do a whole post just on toilets really – the best height, soft close seats (oh yes) -- but that’s not for today. (Don’t be sad!)

Today, it’s a little thing, the theme of the week. :)

Soon after I shared how I’m planking the walls in the powder room, we got the toilet reinstalled:

decorative toilet handles

I was so excited about having a potty for the first time in weeks, I put a picture on Instagram. Yes. I did. (I was kind of in love with the dark floors with the white -- lovely!)

But most people didn’t really care about my toilet (how??) – they were more interested in our handle:

x-shaped toilet handle

I love my toilet handle. I do.

I found it years ago (I’m thinking five years now, maybe more?) at Lowe’s. It was on clearance at the time, I think about $12.

It is so easy to change it out! I remember I put it off for a while because I thought it was going to be so involved and it’s not.

You just take the lid off your tank, then unscrew the handle that’s there from behind:

installing a toilet handle

Then screw the new one in, and reattach the chain at the end of the lever. I swear it’s not hard!

I don’t think they still have the this X design, but I haven’t checked in a while. I would love another one for the basement!

I got this version in oil rubbed bronze for the master bedroom that day:

decorative toilet handles

Here’s a closer look at a handle as it would look outside the tank:

decorative toilet handles

I liked this one too – it looks like a door handle!:

decorative toilet handles

Of course, these are a splurge. I was lucky that I found mine on clearance, but the basic ones are around $15. Not a necessity, but it’s a little bling for the bathroom and it’s fun!

They are definitely more substantial than the plastic handles that come with the toilet. Problem is, sometimes people don’t always know how to use the one we have in the powder room. ;) I had to show the hubs and the kiddo which way to turn it when we first got it.

(All versions above are from Lowe’s.)

Of course, you could also put a fish on the toilet:

decorative toilet handles

Hilarious!! There are a ton of fun options over at this site. :)

So there you go…my toilet bling. It’s another little thing that adds a little character and interest to our house.

Email subscription form header
Your email:*
Please enter all required fields Click to hide
Correct invalid entries Click to hide

Comments

  1. Love your toilet handle. (Ha, yes it really is the little things if we can all get excited about toilet handles!!) Love this idea for a party- just linked up. Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute toilet handle, I would love that fish one for my cousin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the toilet handle. I updated my mudroom benches with a cushion. It's amazing what the little things can do for a room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the party! I might have to get a cross handle style lever for our kids' bathroom toilet now. I wonder if it comes in a chrome finish?!
    Thanks for sharing,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so awesome! I have never thought about changing out the handle for the toilet but I'm a big fan of the one you have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that toilet handle and the dark wood floors. Thanks for the party! Have a wonderful week.
    blessings,
    Nici

    ReplyDelete
  7. ha! who knew there were so many exciting toilet handles?! nice. thanks for the party :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That handle is definitely a show stopper! Thanks for hosting a party...so fun.

    ~Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super cute handle! Can't believe you found it at Lowe's!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love those handles!!! Thanks for the fun spontaneous party! XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fun impromptu party! thanks for hosting it. Little Bit from www.DecorateWithaLittleBit.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. We just remodeled our kids' bath (link below) but I never thought to switch out the toilet handle. Love that idea! Might just be the final, finishing touch! Thanks

    http://simplymodernhome.com/2013/04/11/our-kids-bath/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have the same toilet handle! It's just a little thing but I LOVE it. Plus it cracks me up the way it throws off visiting kids, they come out "umm... can you tell me how to work your handle?". It was worth the few dollars just for the entertainment value.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE that toilet handle! Those kinds of details make me giddy! How's the planking going? I'm thinking of doing something similar in my hall bath. It's covered in wallpaper and I'd rather cover it than take it down - would that be so bad?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hahaha! I totally love that you posted about your toilet, since I can now link up about mine - my bidet for that matter! I posted 3 little things here that I love about my home right now - living room, vanity light and our bidet/intelliseat! i know it's weird, but glad to finally be able to share it! thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. thanks for hosting the link up! so glad i thoroughly read the submission page and didn't put my name instead of a title. oh wait, the opposite happened!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Boo Hoo! What a surprise party. Thanks Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that handle Sarah. I decided to keep my toilet and upgrade it with a new handle like the second example you showed. Mine is brushed nickel. I've only had it for about six years ha ha. it's still not on.Maybe I'll get to it this weekend. Thanks for hosting, this is a fun party.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Now I want to change all of my boring toilet handles out! Thanks for the inspiration and the party!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Definitely a handle worthy of display! So glad you've hosted another link up! Thank you!
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is just cool. Weird, yes, but also very cool. Added a link to the party...cause seriously paint is such a little thing, but dang, what a big impact. Thanks for hosting....

    ReplyDelete
  22. How fun!! Thank you for hosting this party. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOL! Loving the bling!! How fun are all those handles? Thanks so much for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks so much for hosting! Who knew you could put a fish on your toilet? :)

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  25. That's so funny about the toilet handle, but I actually love it too & now want to change mine out! lol

    This site has some pretty ones & at least 2 styles of the "x" shaped ones similar to yours (but they're more expensive):

    http://www.fixtureuniverse.com/toilet-levers_587.html?page=1

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love your toilet handle! We have the one you said looks like a door handle...I bought it to match the door handles I bought when we redid our main bath.
    Thank you for hosting, this is my first time sharing here. I saw Jennifer at Dimples & Tangles link to this post.
    Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Super cute handle Sarah! thank you for the linkups :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love your parties! And how in the world did I never know that there were so many options for toilet handles!?! Hilarious! ;) Jesse @ Scout & Nimble

    ReplyDelete
  29. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hahahah! It made me snicker when I came to your blog today after posting YESTERDAY about my love for MY TOILET SEAT and how it saved my marriage! Maybe now I need to also buy a handle, then I'd be set for life! :) I'm 177 on the linkup! Thanks for the opportunity to share.

    http://trinketsofthought.com/2013/04/11/teehee/the-toilet-seat-that-saved-my-marriage

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hysterical, I had no idea you could change those handles out! We just replaced 2 of our toilets in our house and omg, I had no idea that new toilets could bring such joy!! The comfort height and the slow close lid, amazing!!!! See, you are not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  32. The toilet handle is too cute- I think I would need directions for using it, too! Maybe do a little Silhouette decal to show which direction to turn it. :) Thanks for hosting a fun party, hope you like my trash can lampshade! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Darling 'little thing'!
    and tons of inspy here - TY for hosting & including my 'wee/little'
    bit o' Spring :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Really, I wish I didn't know about all these cute toilet flushers -- too, too cute and my family is going to tease me when I find some! Thanks for that, and for the party hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I used your tutorial for the starburst mirror! Turned out fantastic. Thank you so much for sharing and hosting this link-up!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I have the same handle :-). Took a little getting used too but I love it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  37. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love the idea of changing the toilet handle! So cute and clever! We just finished renovating one of our baths, I may just have to look for a new handle to match our new decor! Thanks for sharing and hosting this super fun party :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. You've inspired me to change my toilet handles. It's amazing how that small change can make a huge difference. Thanks for sharing.
    Jen@onceuponatimecreation.com/blog

    ReplyDelete

If you have a specific question I will do my best to answer you back here!

You can find our paint colors and links to items at the "Our Home" tab at the top of my site.

THANKS so much for reading!