Bright basement bathroom reveal

August 19, 2013

Our basement bathroom is finally finished! It was thisclose to done anyway, and I had everything I needed on hand…so this one is checked off the list! WHOOT.

Let’s look back at how it looked a few months ago:

unfished basement bathroom

If you’ve been around for awhile you know we finished our basement last year. We did it slowly so we could pay cash and it took about six months total. The basics are in and everything is coming together beautifully, but there’s still a LOT we want to do down there.

So we had it finished but the basement bathroom was still incomplete, as you can see above. The floors were installed earlier this year, along with the main fixtures – the toilet and vanity. Then I showed you how I installed some storage in the form of DIY floating shelves:

DIY floating wood shelves

I LOVE those shelves – I’m still so happy with how that came together.

But there were a few things left to do – back when I painted all the doors black in the basement I pooped out and didn’t do the back of the bathroom door. Soooo…I got that done:

painting interior doors

Three coats and done!

Back when we had the electrical work done for the basement I knew I wanted two lights above the sink, so we guesstimated where the vanity was going to go. Well the outlet for that room ended up being right in the middle of the sink (right where the mirror went) so the guys came out a few months ago and moved the outlet (and one of the lights) for me.

They patched up the drywall and I just hung the mirror back over it and left it:

patching drywall

So yesterday I sanded it down and touched up that paint and a few other spots in the room. I also caulked the rest of the baseboards down there as well. OK, maybe I wasn’t thisclose to done. ;)

I used the mirror that used to be in our upstairs powder room -- it was shimmery brown so it needed a redo bad. I taped it off to prep for spray paint:

taping off a mirror

I’ve seen a lot of people not taping off and just using a razor to clean up on mirrors, but with spray paint that’s too messy (for me). So I covered it with newspaper, taped it all down and checked out my spray paint stash to decide on what to do:

nickel spray paint

I started with the satin nickel color and it was pretty, but when I got it down there it was so…boring. ;) The lights, faucet and mirror were all the same. Then I took it back outside and just went with a basic white – but, duh, that was pretty boring too. I wanted a pop of color on that wall and kept looking to my spray paint to find the right color (not spending money on DIY and all.)

Well I finally found the color I wanted in my regular paints:

light and bright bathroom

It’s the same aubusson blue color I used on this project:

aubusson blue chalk paint

It was PERFECT. And it only took three tries. ;)

The blue brings the color in the towels and shower curtain over to that side of the room:

DIY floating shelves

You can see all the sources for these items in this post (most was from Target).

Originally I planned on using our pedestal sink from upstairs in this space, but when it came time to install it I realized I really wanted something more substantial and something with storage. So I shopped around and found a really inexpensive vanity at Lowe’s that worked perfectly:

bright basement bathroom

It’s really shallow but the sink juts out so it’s still a great size. It’s perfect for this skinny bathroom. (You can find it here online.)

I’m pretty thrilled with how this little space came together! Well…it’s not exactly little -- it’s just long and skinny:

black interior doors

It’s about 11 feet by four feet -- there was no other way to set up the room with the beams in the basement and the rough in plumbing. Also we had to make it this long to incorporate a support column into the wall. When the door is open it goes right near the vanity so there’s actually not much room to spare.

I had a mantra in my head the whole time I was finishing off this space -- “It’s just a basement bathroom.” :) So I went pretty basic with the finishes – the faucet, shower head and lights were all basic, inexpensive finds. We spent a little more on the toilet since this is in the basement – we wanted something that will hold up well (since the plumbing down here has to work against gravity).

Even though we didn’t splurge on much, I think the space turned out beautifully. One thing I don’t regret at all in the building process – I made sure we had a TON of lights in this space. Early on I thought it may be overkill but since I’ve realized it’s a great thing in a room without natural light:

blue green bathroom

We have a total of five lights in this space – recessed lights in the shower and by the door, the light in the fan and two over the sink. I love the look of the two lights over the sink – I did the same in our upstairs powder room. :)

I do have one more thing to do in here – paint all the trim (baseboards and door trim). But I have to do that in the entire basement so I’m going to wait till I can knock it all out at once. (That will be a fun day. Want to come over and help?)

Here’s a look at the before and after side-by-side – my favorite. ;)

bright basement bathroom

I’d still like to add some art or something to that big wall at some point. I have an idea in mind but for now I’m just thrilled to have this space done! I’m knocking things off the to-do list and it feels so good! I may do these no-spend months more often!! (Although I’m starting to get a HomeGoods itch.)

If you have any questions about this space that I didn’t answer, let me know and I’ll get you info in the comments!

Email subscription form header
Your email:*
Please enter all required fields Click to hide
Correct invalid entries Click to hide

Comments

  1. Very pretty! We have the same vanity in our downstairs' bathroom :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did you get the cute blue & green rug?1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah that was from Target! Found it months ago but they may still have it.

      Delete
  3. I LOVE THIS! Just pinned the heck out of it. I am swooning over the colors. That mirror over the vanity is perfect and I love the darker door. Well done, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks fantastic! As always, you did an amazing job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it Sarah!! The colors are great. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it all Sarah! Just finished my Powder room too, wall-papered my walls and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great choice for the mirror color! I love the rug you have in there too! Is it from Home Goods?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's from Target! It was the Threshold line so I'm not sure they still have it or not?

      Delete
    2. Just found it online: http://www.target.com/p/threshold-cool-ombre-rug-trout-stream-20x34/-/A-14321645

      Delete
  8. It looks super pretty! I love how all the colors tie in together but doesn't look matchy matchy! I'm so obsessed with black doors right now, yours looks great! Great job on your bathroom!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks great! I especially love that built-in storage and that rug! I am drawn to these colours as well and use them throughout my home- would love to know where you purchased the rug!

    Cheryl @ The Creative Me and My McG

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks awesome! What a bright and happy space!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm doing our basement bathroom also!! thank you for stressing the need for lights. Now to convince my husband of that. What did you do for the flooring? Is it a laminate? We are discussing the flooring now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm so glad we added a bunch! The flooring is a linen-like tile. I linked to it up early in the post, hope that helps! (It was a great price!)

      Delete
  12. There you go, caulking and painting more stuff while my library built ins are still sitting there, a year and a half later. Not caulked and painted.

    Kudos! Another beautiful bathroom cranked out by you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous! Would love to know the wall color? We have the same shower curtain and I have tried several paint colors and they all seem too pasty blue. Thanks for the great inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is beautiful Sarah. One day, when we have the extra cash, we will be finishing our basement. I can picture it finished. :) The electrical is in in the basement. One thing we planned for was in floor heat. We do know we want tile on the floor.. and being on concrete.. Brrr! So we wired it for that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your shower curtain! It has all the colors and is so pretty! Where did you get it? Your use of the small space is genius! I love, love, love the floating shelves!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love, love, love. The blue on the mirror is my favorite part.

    Christy @ Creating a Beautiful Life

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's a gorgeous bath....you'd never guess it's in the basement! LOVE that shelf ~ brilliant idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that bathroom. You would never guess it's in a basement. I love all the color!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks great! We need to finish the bathroom in our basement, and I have been worried about it feeling dark and dreary. This is so bright I would have never thought it was a basement bathroom. Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sarah, I LOVE your bathroom! I have a confession to make - I first saw your posts on it early this year, when my husband and I were building an apartment in my grandparent's basement, and it totally inspired me in my design. I built floating shelves for storage in mine (although they're white), and went with a similar color scheme - except in the long run I decided on more saturated, jewel tone blues and greens and went with peacocks instead of bluebirds :)

    What really tickles me is that we finished ours before yours, and the vanity I installed is the bigger 2-drawer version of yours! I LOVE IT. It's shallow so it leaves a ton of floor space, but the sink is a perfect size. The doors hold a caddy of cleaning supplies, and the husband and I each have a drawer for our things. The espresso/black color is gorgeous and after 3 months of hard daily use, it's still as pretty as day 1. I hope you enjoy yours as much as we enjoy ours!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love it! What a difference! my favorite part....hmmm the floating shelves and the mirror, well, it all looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Totally love your bathroom. I have the same shower curtain in my tiny bathroom as well. What color did you paint your walls? IN. LOVE. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love it all but don't you just love the darker doors...I have only gotten the inside front painted so far but I love it. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  24. the blue mirror was a perfect choice to pull it all together!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow!!! Beautiful!! I've been eyeing that shower curtain for over a year now. You are tempting me to go and buy it bad!!! You're also making me want to paint all of my doors black ;).

    ReplyDelete
  26. Looks so good! Love how bright and crisp everything looks. The floating shelves coordinate nicely with the colors in the shower curtain, very pretty :) Pinning

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love love love it! Great lighting for a basement bathroom too! I love everything!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I just found your blog and I have to say I am spending some time looking around, love the colors in this bathroom. It looks so crisp and clean. Thanks for sharing. :-) New follower....

    ReplyDelete
  29. perfect color for the mirror! great looking bathroom :o)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow! Looks fabulous! The mirror is perfect!

    ~Steph @ Silver Boxes

    ReplyDelete
  31. The shelves are so great. What a great use for the space. I love how they are open. Very pretty bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  32. The floors you used were also at the Grand Bohemian in Asheville Nc . They looked amazing in that 5 star hotel and look impeccable in yours. I know you are loving them and your new space! It's amazing!! Lesely

    ReplyDelete
  33. So fresh! Love the warm wood shelving, it brings in the perfect texture, and looks a tad rustic, my favorite mix!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Looks great!!! I love the rug and the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  35. LUV IT ALL!! you should do a DIY canvas paint and do one BIG art piece.

    ReplyDelete
  36. This looks FABULOUS!! My husband and I JUST finished our basement this very week (almost a year to the day from when we started! ha!) http://www.lifeinyellow.com/2013/08/the-basement-diaries-the-final-frontier-part-2-of-2/

    Love how you used the space and I'm swooning over those shelves!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Sarah, this bathroom turned out lovely. Very welcoming. Painting the door black really seemed to tie everything together, as a whole. Love it all. Beautiful job! :D

    ReplyDelete
  38. Super smart with those shelves! Looks great :)xo Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love your space - motivating me to tackle the kid's bath and I've been eyeing that shower curtain for soooo long. Wondering where you got the bath rug????

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love it all, but I'm dying over the floor! I can't wait to redo my master bathroom with something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  41. So very pretty, Sarah!

    I've read all the comments to find the paint color
    & brand. I think it's usually Sherman Williams..
    (The question has been asked before,
    but no answer shows up yet.)
    Paint details, please! Thanks.

    Chrissy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chrissy! It's called Silver Lake -- I have all the details on the basement colors I used in this post: http://thriftydecorchick.blogspot.com/2012/05/picking-out-basement-paint-colors.html

      Delete
  42. It's beautiful!! I love all the details you added. The colors are AMAZING!! I never would have thought to put them together, but your rug and shower curtain bring it all together!! Beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Great space. I especially love that you used the space for the floating shelves. It kills me every time a contractor says something like, "It's only about 9" or so. We'll drywall that in so you'll never see it." I'm thinking, "Nine inches! Woohoo! Tons of storage!" That's when I know I need to keep looking for a contractor who gets it. Glad you also didn't get backed into a corner on that one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. I love how the bathroom turned out. It looks soooo much bigger now that it's finished than it did in the "before" pic. The blue is the perfect color for the mirror.
    As for your "no spend month," you inspired me to do the same. I completely re-did our master bedroom without spending a dime this past weekend. I moved the furniture, moved pictures, dug out some curtains that were packed away, and I even changed out the curtain rods. Hubby was blown away with the results. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Love how your bathroom turned out as well. Love the choice of colors, calm, pretty, clean and the use of space. That little corner of shelving is super functional and very clever. thanks for sharing.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  46. simply fab! I love this space...when did shower curtains become so cute?

    ReplyDelete
  47. Great color palate and mix of patterns :) sorry if this is a repeat question, but the shower looks like it doesn't come with a door ?

    ReplyDelete
  48. I love your bathroom, so pretty! These are my favorite colors! I have been drooling over this same tile for a while now at Lowe's. I'm glad you used it so I can see how nice it looks in a bathroom! My husband and I just started the first stage of our master bathroom reno. I wanted to do some floating shelves over the toilet in there, so this tutorial really helps me to visualize how to make them. Great job on everything, your bathroom looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Love the bathroom! I just put turquoise in my master bath and am loving it. I especially like your fun shower curtain!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Wow it all looks really great!

    Runt
    runtspickins@yahoo.com
    www.runtspickins.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  51. looks amazeballs! you give me hope for my own basement - so cheery!

    ReplyDelete
  52. I'm curious about your shower, as we are doing a similar thing to our bathroom soon. Where did you find such a small shower surround?

    ReplyDelete

If you have a specific question I will do my best to answer you back here!

You can find our paint colors and links to items at the "Our Home" tab at the top of my site.

THANKS so much for reading!