Friday, September 6, 2013

House happy

Hey hey all! Good Friday to you! What do you have planned this weekend? Not too much here – I’m trying to convince my sis to take a trip to IKEA with me at some point. Whoot!

It’s been awhile since I’ve done one of these posts so I thought it was about that time. I love sharing goings on from Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram and around the house every once and a while.  

A few days ago I was downtown Indy for lunch with friends and stopped by one of my very favorite spots, Midland Arts and Antiques:

midland arts and antiques

It’s probably been at least six months since I’ve been in, maybe even a year? Wow, the prices have gone up a good amount. But the fun of it for me is the search (and there’s a LOT to search there), so I had fun just walking around.

I found a couple things I loved but couldn’t figure out where I would put them, so I left empty handed. The next day I couldn’t stop thinking about them and figured out a spot for both, so I went back. ;)

This old Japanese glass float was one of them. I LOVE these things and this is by far the biggest I’ve found:

japanese float

I’m rearranging these shelves a bit but I think this will stay on here. I LOVE.

I also stopped by the Habitat Restore while I was down there and as I said on Instagram, it’s where all the brass fixtures go to live:

habitat restore lights

See all those lamp shades? A hotel must have cleared out of brass wall sconces cause there were TONS. I picked up two and will spray paint them – who doesn’t love a wall sconce? AND they were only $4 each! Walk don’t run my fellow Indy folks!

Speaking of light fixtures – do you like the look of a lamp on a kitchen counter? I do. I found this little lamp at Target a few months ago and I love it in our kitchen:

lamp on kitchen counter

Now I’m on a search for a little one for our laundry room too. I love little bits of low light like this! Now that the days are getting shorter again I’ll be using them quite a bit.

So have you been to JC Penney’s lately? I stopped in a couple months ago and was a little surprised with what I found:

JCP decoreSUPER cute. It wasn’t the most inexpensive stuff I’ve found, but it was different and fun and unique. Loved it. Have you been in lately? Do you know if this line goes on sale? They have a whole Martha Stewart party section that was fun to look through too.

I’ve continued my decluttering rampage and found all of these tools that made it into our dresser in the foyer:

tools

I keep some tools in there for easy access, and one of the knobs on a drawer has broken twice – a sure sign I have too much CRAP in there. These were all in that one (little) drawer. Obviously I’m too lazy to walk out the garage. :)

And that tile? I’m getting up the courage to tear it out soon. It is going to be a HUGE mess. Trying to psych myself up.

By the way, this mess is what happens when you declutter rooms in your house and ignore the other ones:

my house

Seriously, who am I kidding? It’s like this all the time. I shared this on Facebook and you all made me feel very normal, thank you for that. ;)

I went in to Bath and Body Works a few weeks ago to get a gift for a friend and stuffed this candle in my face a few times:

leaves bath and body

The leaves scent of theirs is my absolute favorite. I pulled out my candle and smelly stuff from last year and my house smells heavenly now.

I pinned this gorgeous vignette my friend Myra created and it has me so excited for fall decorating:

fall vignette

She did SUCH a lovely job on this! I love the green desk with the painted lamp with all the textures – it’s just a beautiful spot right?

And speaking of Pinterest, I shared this one on Facebook a few weeks ago too:

pinterest food ecard

The truth, right? I mean, who doesn’t love a good PB&J though? One of those and some salty chips – that’s the lunch of champions right there.

Hope you have a great weekend! We may go do some apple picking tomorrow – let the fall festivities begin!!

21 comments:

  1. I love these stores! Sadly I do not live near Indiana.

    I hope that you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE your blog! My hubby is away this weeked and I am going to clean, try to de-crapify, organize my hall closet and decorate for fall! Yep ambitious but I hope to get 90% of it done. I love the Target light. I have a similar one on my kitchen counter as a night light, I also love the small bits of light that lamps bring. I have them all over my house because for some reason we've got no, yep NO overhead lighting! I will share with you my fall decorating if I get it all up! Thanks for the post. Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that Japanese glass float! And as soon as I finish posting this comment, I am on a "rampage" in my home, decluttering and organizing. I have been procrastinating long enough, it's time...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Green desk = da bomb!! Love that as well as the display.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just went to our Habitat For Humanity Restore for the first time yesterday! I loved it! Needless to say I will definitely be going back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love both shelving unit! I also wish there was a ReStore close by where I could scout out some fixtures! I so agree with that , I haven't actually done any of the stuff I pinned on pinterest yet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all of it! The Man prefers I stay away, FAR AWAY, from the ReStore...that place gets me in sooo much trouble!

    That said, I've been stalking a dining set at one of our local thrift stores on craigslist for 3 months now. It's almost down to where I want it, and I think they have layaway. I see a dining room set in my future (well, if someone else isn't stalking it like I am and runs faster than me and has a less tight-fisted Man) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha! That E-Card made me giggle. So funny!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, yeah, I even take my grape jelly and peanut butter to work with me sometimes for lunch. Then the other girls are like, "Wow, I forgot all about PB&J!" I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE the Jonathan Adler line at JCP. I just recently bought the Cresent Heights white linen bed (link below...isn't it dreamy?) for almost half price! I have also some of the other stuff on sale online.

    http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/for-the-home/furniture/bedroom/beds/happy-chic-by-jonathan-adler-crescent-heights-linen-upholstered-bed/prod.jump?ppId=pp5002461476&catId=cat100250035&subcatId=cat100240019&deptId=dept20000011&dimCombo=null&dimComboVal=null

    ReplyDelete
  11. *seen some of the other stuff on sale online.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Midland is the BEST antique mall ever! But you should try Webb's in Centerville, Ind. just off I-70 on the way to Dayton. It totally rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I saw a pillow at an antique mall today that said, "Sorry about the mess, but we live here!" I might have brought it home, but it wasn't worth $16 to me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the little lamp on your kitchen counter. I love to place them in unexpected spots too. I also enjoy tucking faux candles with timers here and there and then enjoy the lovely glow when they come on automatically. I have learned to not buy the cheap ones, they don't hold up well. I have always loved the Japanese glass floats. My mother brought some back after a trip to the West coast over 55 years ago. I still have them and they inspired my collection of colored glass. I live in a small town and we don't have a lot of retail shops, but we do have a wonderful thrift shop that is always an adventure to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Japanese floats? I always just called it my glass sphere. I never knew it had a name, lol. I see things I love and think I have absolutely no place for them and kick myself later. I realized if I love it, buy it as long as it fits the style of your house because there will always be a place for it. My boys and I love the Leaves candle and all declared it the winner at B&BW when shopping for their hand sanitizers for school. And, my son's body spray. Eek! I adore that fall arrangement-mercury glass and velvet pumpkins with burlap and random florals. Got it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just a little FYI. I just saw yesterday that JC Penney is doing away with the Martha Stewart line due to low sales. May be able to catch some clearance items.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have you ever had a grilled pb&J? It will change your world! Use good peanut butter, good jam, and layer it thick. Spread the outside of your sandwich with a thin layer of butter, then cook it just like a grilled cheese (I like to start with the jam side, then end with the pb side so the pb is super gooey and warm). You have to eat this thing with a fork and knife, and sometimes I heat up a little extra jam for a syrup on top - it's like dessert for lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I *love* the little lamp from Target, exactly what I've been looking for in terms of colors and pattern. How have I missed that when shopping? I'll def be putting that on my list for the next target visit. Is is it a 40w only lamp?

    I wish we had cool stores like the habitat one you have (our little one closed years ago, but I did score a great ex-hotel desk with no drawer that I of course painted) & the one where you got the glass float.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am working on d-cluttering my house but it isn't easy. I am just this side of being a hoarder with all of my holiday and seasonal decorations. I have no basement, no attic, no storage. All of my "stuff " is currently piled up in the garage (for easy access you know). My poor car has been outcast to the driveway all summer. I might be able to get the car back into the garage when I do get all of the fall decor boxes emptied out. I really have to get organized before the snow flies this winter or get a bigger house.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for posting the "real" photo of your family room. It's nice to know that even though your house photos usually look perfect, in reality, you're just like me! =)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm proud of you for not purchasing the 2 items you wanted until you could ponder them a bit longer and decide where they were going.

    I saw that collection at JC Penney and thought the stuff is so cool too. Our store is getting a whole redo and it seems kind of fancy. Funny, bc I actually thought of you when I saw those items. Very cool designs. They are a bit more $$ than I would prefer to spend.
    Chrissy

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE, love, love your comments! (I read every single one.)

If you have a specific question, make sure I can answer you back by adding your email to your google/blog account! And be sure to check out the FAQs tab at the top of the site. Due to the number of emails I get, I just can't get back to everyone.

THANKS so much for reading!