How to make metal sheet candleholders

December 20, 2013

I’ve walked by these metal radiator grates for years and years and always wanted to do something with them. They’re just so pretty! There are so many designs to pick from too.
 
I picked up the cloverleaf design for this project:
brass cloverleaf sheeting
I had two projects in mind and started with the easiest one. The other one will have to wait but I think it’s going to be awesome. :) This time I made some pretty candleholders with it and I think they turned out pretty cool!

You can see the design on the metal sheet better here:
brass cloverleaf radiator metal
This one is a pretty brass/gold color but there are other finishes available as well. Isn’t that cool?
 
I used tin snips to cut through it but scissors work too (it’s very thin):
cutting metal using tin snips
It’s a good idea to wear some hand protection (even SpongeBob gloves would work) while cutting – the edges aren’t crazy sharp but you need to be careful with it.
 
By the way, I held my glass holders up to it to see what size to cut it first. Don’t forget that part. :) I used some extra Goodwill cylinders (just like I used for the Christmas mantel) – I told you I had a ton of these! They are ALWAYS at my local GW.
 
When it was cut out I rolled it up a bit so it would start taking the cylinder shape – you need to kind of help it along:
metal sheet candleholders
Then I wrapped it around the glass to see where the back met up. I took it off and then used a simple line of wire to secure the two together:
cloverleaf metal sheet candles I wrapped the wire at the bottom and the top of the metal to make sure it was going to stay put, and then just slid the metal “wrap” over the glass. That’s it!
 
I placed some simple votive holders with candles inside:
Radiator sheet candleholders
So pretty eh? I kept walking by them after I was done and oohing and ahhing to myself. They really are striking! I’m nuts over that metal design and the color. Of course you could spray paint the metal sheet any color you wanted too.
 
I think these look pretty for Christmas but they would work any time of year really:
Radiator grate candleholders
Couple of things – if you have little hands around you may want to add some ribbon around the top or bottom if you think kids will try to handle them. Like I said, the edges can be a bit sharp (it really depends on where you cut them).
 
Also, you really don’t need to have the glass candleholders! You could just as easily just roll them up, secure the back together and then place a votive holder inside – you can’t really tell there’s glass there when all is said and done.
 
And finally, this metal sheeting isn’t cheap – I think $20-something each? I’m not sure. But I got three good sized holders out of it and had plenty left over to make another, so it goes further than you think it will.
 
Have you tried any projects with this metal? I’m planning my next one already…I’ll let you know if it works out!

Email subscription form header
Your email:*
Please enter all required fields Click to hide
Correct invalid entries Click to hide

Comments

  1. Beautiful! How do you keep bottom from scratching furniture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tracy! I haven't moved them much -- but if you were going to you'd maybe want to add a bit of hot glue or something to keep them higher on the glass.

      Delete
  2. that is exactly what I used to protect my screen door, we have the full view one, and my hubby spray painted it brown to match the door, it looks great and keeps kids/dogs from pushing the screen out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto! I've been wanting to make candle holders out of that stuff for YEARS. But every time I've looked at it H.D., I kinda groan at the price. It's $30-something there. I'll have to check it out at True Value. I'm super excited to see what else you do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are so incredibly beautiful! I have seen those at Lowe's and Home Depot and wondered what I could do with them, too. Now I have at least one idea. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are just SO talented! It's crazy! You need your own show on HGTV!

    Kayla
    www.lovelucygirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is brilliant! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never done anything like this. Beautiful, beautiful. Sometimes the simplest projects are the prettiest. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. super cool idea Sarah :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've used those sheets of decorative metal to make earring holders. Simply find a wooden frame at the thrift store, paint it (or leave as-is) and cut a piece of the metal to fit in the frame and glue it in place on the back side, then hang it on the wall!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They turned out great! Do you like this idea better than using scrapbook paper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elisabeth I do like that you can see the candlelight a bit more with these, but overall I like them both! It's a hard call!

      Delete
  11. There are so many great uses for the metal sheeting, although I think your project is one of my favorties! They turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. yes! I was lusting over those at Home Depot awhile ago too!! They're so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those really turned out very pretty and so simple. There certainly are a lot of possibilities for the sheeting. You are a very clever girl :-) Marisa

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just reread your post and noticed you are around the Pendleton area - we're in Bloomington but we'll be in Carmel for Christmas. All three kids and grandkids live in the area. Marisa

    ReplyDelete
  15. So pretty! BTW I am in love with the nativity set in your last photo. I actually saw this at my local ACE hardware store but was told the blueish stable backdrop was only a store prop. I see that you have it! Did you purchase it separate, or was it part of a package? Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shawna I bought that and it wasn't cheap! It's sold separately. I've seen it on Amazon!

      Delete
  16. Thanks for the inspiration! This just gave me a great idea and it has nothing to do with candles. I love when ideas jump into your head! Pinning these!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh they are so gorgeous. Love the way they turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've always loved those metal sheets but never new what to do with them until now. Your candle holders look great, very elegant.

    Thanks for the blog, always an inspiration!

    Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've even seen those metal sheets or something like them at Hobby Lobby. Since I love different kinds of candle holders I love these, the shiny surface is gorgeous and thinking of spray painting them also. We have a True Value close to us so I don't have to go to Grand Junction to get a sheet.
    Your candle holders look gorgeous and think I'd prefer to put a glass cylinder inside metal sleeves as you did. I was wondering how you'd protect your surface from edge so glad somebody else asked about it. I'll be thinking on that aspect.
    Enjoy your pretty candle holders with your gorgeous holiday decorations. I noticed your lampshade, did you get that at Target? I saw them but never had a chance to go back to buy one. I love the look of that shade and the colors. Hope they bring those shades back again.
    Merry Christmas and a very wonderful healthy New Year. I'd better go pin this before I forget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone on FB recommended putting the metal inside the glass to protect the surface -- great idea!

      Delete
  20. I love this idea- I just may have to steal it for some copper screen that has been waiting in my basement for inspiration to strike. Merry Christmas to you and your family, Sarah. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a cool idea! And easy enough I could do. I don't have tin snips but I DO have scissors :) Yours turned out beautifully and at $20 for the sheet, your glass candle holder covers cost $5 each. Personally, I think that is a great deal! Happy Holidays to you and yours. I really enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have never thought about looking for this metal sheeting...Will definitely look next time I'm at the hardware store! Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I made a framed memo board out of that same sheeting, only in silver. I cut a piece to fit in a pretty 10x14 frame, secured it with my staple gun and used teeny, tiny clothes pins I found at Michaels to hold notes and pictures. It looks really cute in my office at work and I've even sold a few to people who wanted them for Christmas gifts! I love the gold you used though - I'll have to check my Ace Hardware since Lowe's only has silver. Hope you an your family have a very Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds really cute Marie, I'm getting great ideas! Merry Christmas to you too!

      Delete
  24. This is such a great idea! I have SO many of those cylinders at home that are just begging for something like this. And I'm totally loving the gold. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the candleholders! Can you tell me where I can find those beautiful Crystal pulls?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got those from True Value if you can believe it! :)

      Delete
    2. I would have never thought to look there!!! Thanks for the response! :)

      Delete

If you have a specific question I will do my best to answer you back here!

You can find our paint colors and links to items at the "Our Home" tab at the top of my site.

THANKS so much for reading!