Ten resources for FREE art

March 13, 2014

Ten FREE online resources for art in your home. 

There’s still a little bit of Christmas up in our house. Remember this “art” I told you I was taking down three weeks ago?:

IMG_8352[3]

Still haven’t done it. I figure why take them out, hang them back up, then take them down again to fill them…again. I’ll just do it once I figure out what I’m replacing them with. It’s all about efficiency. :)

My plan for this wall has been to fill them with prints – there are SO many free art options online!

The prints I used are still in our family room (above the chair):  IMG_7210

You can find a crazy good selection of free prints (for personal use) at the NYC Digital Gallery.

Make sure you have some time when you sit down and look through – there really are a ton. 

Some of my favorites are the botanicals:

The possibilities are just endless with what they have online.

There’s a lot of other resources out there too. Free Vintage Posters (sadly this site is gone now!) has a ton of uhh…free, vintage posters. :) 

They would be great for a game room or basement. I think their train images are perfect for a little boy’s room:

british vintage train poster

They all have that classic look to them with bold, bright colors. Love it.

I first read about this next one at Darnetha’s site awhile back – it’s a collection of prints available at the Missouri Botanical Garden Library:

There is a huge selection there too, but a lot of botanical prints can be found here. It’s a little complicated to get the prints downloaded, so follow Darnetha’s easy instructions and you’ll be set.

The Vintage Printable has been around for awhile and it’s one of my favorites to browse:

Botanical tulip print 

Those are easily saved – just right click them and hit “save as” to save them on your computer for your own use.

The Graphics Fairy is another site that offers a bunch of free printables as well:

peacock vintage image--graphicsfairy15

Beautiful, right? Love that one! Karen shares pretty crafts and decorating ideas too.

There’s some really talented bloggers out there who share their works for free too, lucky us! Ashley and Jamin at the Handmade Home create free prints that you can download. I LOVE this precious alphabet art:

alphabet wall art You can download each one and print them out on your own. How sweet, and what a great gift printed out on heavy cardstock. So cute for a baby’s room. (Or just learning the abc’s!)

Everything Etsy is a GREAT site with a crazy amount of fun ideas – this is her collection of 101 free printables from all over the net:

101 free printables

This list includes everything from party printables to things you can hang on the wall so it’s a lot of fun to look through.

And of course the best art in our home is usually homemade. Not because I created it, but because it’s usually involves my kiddo. :)

This DIY silhouette art is much easier than you'd think to make!:

It makes a great gift at any time of the year and it’s SO cheap (if you have black paper and a printer it’s free).

I shared the Waterlogue app here and the cool things it does with your photos:

epcot2

I printed out a few on thick cardstock and they look SO good. It’s such a cool app!

And of course, there’s always photos of your adorable, brilliant children:

photo wall on stairs

Most of the time I just print out our photos at home, and black and white saves the expensive color printer cartridges. I’ve taken down the vinyl since this photo (it had to be removed when the wall was painted) but the photos have been up for years. :)

So there you go! Ten ideas for free (well, except for a few initial bucks on that app) art in your home. Do you know of any I didn’t include? Have you used any of these resources? The internet is a wondrous thing!

Email subscription form header
Your email:*
Please enter all required fields Click to hide
Correct invalid entries Click to hide

Comments

  1. unsplash.com is a website that has TONS of free high resolution photographs. There is an incredible amount of variety. I've only used them as photographs, but I bet some of them could be altered with the Waterlogue app you shared about to create some really beautiful and interesting pieces. After over a year of reading this is my first time commenting. Love your blog! Thanks for everything you share! -Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely in LOVE with your photo wall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this site is AMAZING (as are all the ones you listed)...

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/biodivlibrary/

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh, thank you! I think I might be spending the rest of the day looking through these ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of great ideas and I thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great post...many ideas for art! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am seriously obsessed with the Waterlogue app now, all thanks to you! In fact, I have told a bunch of other people about it since your first post on it. You should get some royalties! Now to get a new printer so I can actually print some of this awesome art for my home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore you for having a little bit of Christmas still up. I adore you even more for admitting it. I have been known to have Christmas stuff still around in February. Thank you, thank you for having Christmas pictures still on your wall. I heart you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are great! I was tickled to see the Missouri Botanical Garden, as I am currently a Master Gardener student there. They are such an amazing place!! One of the three top botanical gardens in the world. Thanks for all the suggestions. I know I've told you this before, but I just love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I've been looking everywhere for some beautiful prints (maybe landscapes) that I can use over my couch. They need to be high res to print out large enough, though. Sarah, I love your blog and your upbeat, fun attitude! Pretty please, can you tell me where you got your mirror over your fireplace?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a few free prints to print out. Where do you have yours printed? Just wondering where to go. I am looking for larger scale than my at home printer can do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would try a place like Kinkos -- you can just email it to them and have them print in matte or glossy. I think Staples does larger prints too?

      Delete
  12. Great info and thanks so much for sharing. I can't wait until I learn to do this. Love so many of these gorgeous printables.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just did it and I am so excited. YEA!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Soooo, I have a, maybe dumb, question for ya. I'm constantly seeing all of these "free printables" for anything from wall art to labels. I cringe anytime I hit print, even if it's just a black and white recipe. Isn't it insanely expensive to print off something like the botanicals, (which I LOVE)? Or are people printing somewhere other than home?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindy I print quite a few things other than documents (photos, labels, occasionally stuff for the walls) and we only have to change out our cartridges every few months or so. If you were doing a ton you'd probably use up most of the color but it just depends on how many. Places like Staples or Walgreens print them for pretty cheap too. :)

      Delete

If you have a specific question I will do my best to answer you back here!

You can find our paint colors and links to items at the "Our Home" tab at the top of my site.

THANKS so much for reading!