Living room refresh

April 28, 2014

I’ve mentioned before that I LOVE when I get to move furniture around…because I never move it around. Our house has a very open floor plan and very little useable wall space (that isn’t covered by windows). So once I find a spot for something it stays…forever. Moving furniture is a rare treat. :)

I found this étagère at HomeGoods a couple years back and it was love at first sight. I loved the detail on the sides of it and the size – nice and skinny. It started out between the two windows in the living room, but that became too busy to me, so I moved it next to the sofa last year:

tall etagere

It was there for a long time, but the height right there bugged me. It was right where the dining and living rooms meet and it felt awkward. I don’t have a full shot to show what I mean. It wasn’t awful or anything, I just wasn’t feeling it.

I decided a few weeks ago to try it in the corner where this desk/console used to sit:

desk by window

I wanted to use that desk in my office so the spot was freed up. I moved the bookcase over and loved it in that spot! And that of course started off a series of other small projects as well. It’s how I do. :)

When I installed the new window trim a couple weeks ago I started replacing the chair rail as well. I wanted something simpler that would sit flush against the window trim. And when I put the rail in years back I kind of cheated along that half wall behind the desk. Long story short the trim on the half wall didn’t meet up with the chair rail on the wall. So I removed all of it, including the top of the half wall, and installed all new:

replacing trim on half wall

Now the chair rail on that wall is one continuous piece of wood instead of two mismatched pieces. This would all make more sense if I had taken a before pic, but I forgot. :)

I got this new-to-me primer at Lowe’s when I was painting the window trim and so far I love it:

wood primer

It gives the wood a great base and goes on really smooth. I finished off the new chair rail and the top of the half wall with caulk and two coats of semi gloss paint. I still have quite a bit of chair rail to replace but I’ll do that as the budget allows.

But the best part is that I think this piece has finally found it’s forever home!:

skinny bookcase

It’s much bigger than the desk was, but takes up less visual space for sure. I couldn't believe the difference. I love how open it feels now and that we can appreciate the pretty detail on the side!

I loved what I had on the wall above the desk so I moved that between the windows:

DIY craftsman window trim

I’m not sure that will stay but I do like that the round mirrors break up all the rectangles in this spot – windows, wainscoting, bench and bookshelf.

OH! And I pulled the chair away from between the windows and I LOVE it. I hesitated to put the chairs on the rug (they don’t match but I’m working on that) -- I’ve liked having the floor more open. But WOW, what a difference it made to pull everything together – it really opens up this room. Love it. More pics soon!

I edited the contents of the shelves down a bit:

white etagere

I’m not 100 percent on the bottom shelf, but I’m using what I have so I’ll deal. ;)

I’ve decided for now I’m not putting the drapes back up. I’m sure I’ll crave more color there eventually, but for now I’m loving how clean and simple it is. Speaking of color, I was looking back at photos and found this before that shows the étagère in it’s original spot and the old pinky walls:

bookcase between windows

Can you believe how pink they were in that light? Goodness. Anyway, here’s how it looks now, with new paint and trim: craftsman trim on windows My little BFF is smooshing himself into this shot. :)

This room was on my list of spaces I wanted to rework this year and so far I’m really, really happy with how it’s coming together! It’s a two story space so it’s harder for me to figure out.

Do you move furniture around a lot? If so I’m jealous. It’s a free fix when you get the itch to tweak things around the house. :) Or do you keep things the way they are forever like me? I love using what you already have in a different space – it feels brand new when you move it around!

Email subscription form header
Your email:*
Please enter all required fields Click to hide
Correct invalid entries Click to hide

Comments

  1. Love the windows without the curtains. We recently replaced our windows, and while having everything off of them to paint etc, I am loving the light and don't think I want curtains again. I like how your bamboo blinds go all the way up, where did you get them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does look pretty there. It fits just right and you really can appreciate the scrolly detailing ;) Funny when we look at old paint colors and wonder why we picked them? I am so glad I got rid of that yellow/gold tan color I had! It was never right. Your new color looks great, especially with all the white trim details!! Gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! What did you end up doing with your curtains? I loved them and have been trying to find a similar fabric for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is the source on those Bamboo shades? I really love the color and they are perfect in those windows!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! I move things around constantly. Constantly. I may have a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can you please remind me of the color you have on your walls here? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing!!
    I am a constant mover :) I used to move things about every season... then every month. Now, I just move it when I get the urge... that is a lot! What can I say, I luv change.

    ReplyDelete
  8. very nice! looks like that corner was made for that bookshelf.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE how you always have one of your "babies" hanging out in the pictures! You can see that they are very happy cats :) Of course, I love your home as well!

    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the little half wall at the door....have been thinking about doing that at home.....just not sure it will work as well. Nice job on it all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. (sorry i deleted my comment but i had to edit it!) hey you can kind of see the two trims coming together in the pic of the desk! Good job on all of the trim, man, you're my hero! I would totally be sitting around waiting for my husband to do it, which might be never with his schedule! and I love the chair on the rug (and kitty under chair) :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I actually rearrange the furniture every six months or so. It may be just switching the couch to a new wall or trying it in the middle of the room, but visually it brightens everything for me. Our house is 160 years old and not an "open" concept at all, so there;s lots of wall space. I wish we had more open-ness though!
    -Ash
    www.stylizedwannabe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your little switcheroo looks great. I love to rearrange my rooms, it's like a mini makeover that doesn't cost you a thang!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love when feline friends photo-bomb house pictures, and yours is adorable! Mine made a not-so-ladylike appearance for our house tour (http://tableandhearth.blogspot.com/p/our-house.html). But they are just too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the new look. So pretty and bright.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I rarely move furnture...there isn't alot of option with a small house, radiators in the way, 6 foot arch ways.

    I like it in the new spot, but I feel like it should be turned 90 degrees....

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that piece of furniture but I would have catty cornered it I think....Give it a try and let us see....LOL

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the changes you made, Sarah! The pictures with your kitty in there are so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am graduating in a couple weeks and moving into an apartment with my best friend. Your blog gives awesome tips for decorating! I love the mirror placements and the windows without curtains! So bright and elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It looks great-- really ties in well with your beautiful molding around it. I liked your previous mirror between the windows, and I like these too-- a neat, unexpected way to brighten up the space. (Kitty brightens up the space, too.) Very "refreshing"!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have 2 choices of how to move the furniture. So it's back and forth! Love your tall stand. Love the design on the side! Beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  23. i don't move my furniture around, but I move the things around my furniture around. my living room and dining room are in a constant state of tweaking. curtains are my go to, then pillows. thank god, I feel like both are in a state that truly reflects my style now (thanks to blogs, my style I think has gotten better, but it meant a lot more changes and that meant more shopping for the "right" things to make the changes.

    your etagare looks made for that spot, and I love the chair moved onto the rug. your kitty smooshing under the chair-I almost missed it, thank goodness you called it out.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It it looks so great! I love that the woodwork detail on the side is now really visible. Also love the kitty photobomb!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I like your blogs giving me the motivation and inspiration for decorating with confidence. That living room decoration is looking really awesome giving brighter look to it. Thanks for sharing some great things here.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your room looks great! My home has an open floor plan, too, so we rarely move furniture. But, we never really furnished our living room until now, so I have been having fun furnishing it and decorating it! I love the colors of your paint and your trim.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love the etegere in it's new spot! The bottom shelf could have just the brass vase/bowl with something soft in it... colored balls or yarn, as an example. You could also use the long wooden bowl that you used previously. Everything on the shelves are side by side and mixing it up with a single item shelf would be interesting. The molding looks great and your kitty is adoreable!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the new place for the etagere. The whole room looks fabulous! So light and spacious. I really can't tell that the chair and rug do not match. Love the rug! Can you tell me where you found it? I have been looking to lighten up my living space and that rug would be perfect. Please let me know and I pray it's not too expensive! Thanks for sharing your home with all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  29. what if you turned it on a slant so it was diagonal in that corner instead of against the wall. that way it would add a little shape to that corner and it would allow the items on the shelf to be shown off. i had a similar situation in my guest room with a book shelf. i didn't like it up against the wall but when i slanted it/diagonal between the two corners, it looks better- fills in the space and it allows me ot show off my books and all that good stuff. ---lisa

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love the new arrangement. You're a woman after my heart with the craftsman type trim too. Yes, I usually rearrange furniture all the time, but am struggling with our long narrow living room since we moved 11 months ago. Definitely a work in progress, but we'll get there. Thanks for keeping all the great ideas coming!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ok i'm not gonna lie I totally had to google 'étagère' lolol I had never heard of that term. Now i so need one in my life lol. The pattern on the sides of it is to die for. I like where you placed it I would even place it at an angle in that corner for a bit of a different look

    ReplyDelete
  32. Looks nice! Most of the time, once I find an arrangement, I keep it there. I do not have any chairs or couch against any wall, but have three doorways to work around. When we got new furniture, I rearranged it three different ways, living with each way for a week 'til I found my preference, however down the road I might change it again because my hubby liked it the another way. I figure if we change it occasionally, then the one side of the couch won't get as worn. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love it! Good job, as always. It's funny how when you change something around and you've found the perfect spot that you just KNOW it! Oh, and love the kitty baby!!! Hysterical!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Look BEAUTIFUL!! We just moved into our house in December so I am still trying to find the "perfect" furniture layout. However I have to admit that I move my decorative accessories around to different spots ALL THE TIME. My hubby and kids think I am crazy!! Love your blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love how your items pick up your accent colors of blue and green. Quite lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Sarah, that spot is perfect for your Etagere and the the wall between the windows for the decor. It looks so much better than the desk did in that spot. I love drapery panels over blinds but looking at those pictures I've got to say the room looks so much lighter without.
    Marie @ The Interior Frugalista

    ReplyDelete
  37. Did your builder put that half wall in or did you do it yourself ? I have a space where I would like to do something similar but have no idea where to start. I'm thinking plasterboard ??

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love that your animals work their way into your photos. They are so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I used to move things around all the time - but my space got smaller and there's no where to move around. All that will change when I finish building my house! woohoo! Thanks for the tips on what you love and disliked about the house afterall. I found them to be helpful in making my choices.

    I like the windowless curtains. I also LOVE the circled decor between. It breaks it up like you said. Perfect spot for the ategere.

    ReplyDelete
  40. love the curtains you ended up with! I am actually needing new curtains for my room and those are perfect! I may need to get them :)




    Perfect Fit Venetian Blinds & Perfect Fit Blinds

    ReplyDelete

If you have a specific question I will do my best to answer you back here!

You can find our paint colors and links to items at the "Our Home" tab at the top of my site.

THANKS so much for reading!