Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Today is the day!

It’s happening. I was just telling a friend the other day that I will mull over a project idea for months and months and then will “go” at the drop of a hat. Today I’m doing exactly that. :) We’re tearing down a wall!

The handymen we use for stuff occasionally texted me earlier this week to see if I needed anything done because their job was canceled this week.

Why yes, yes I do.

They came over yesterday and gave me a quote and should be here within the hour to start tearing down the wall.

DUDE. I am so excited and terrified all at once. I’ve never done anything quite this major! I could barely fall asleep last night, I was so giddy.

As a refresher, the wall to the left of this photo is coming down:

corner fireplace design

It separates the family room from my office. For reasons I mentioned here we are tearing down the wall and I’m GIDDY. The fireplace will move too. Funny, when a reader suggested this idea my initial thought was, there would be no spot for the fireplace. And then someone else mentioned, uhhhh, on the back wall would work. Duh. But EVERY person I talk about this with wonders the same thing – where in the world will you put the fireplace?

It will be in the same area, just flat against the wall. Flat people. Am I in heaven? It will be much wider in it’s new home too, and I plan to add a tile hearth. Glorious.

Here’s the rough floor plan as it is now:

familyroomplan

Ignore that 1/3 to the right, that’s all kitchen.

Here’s what we are planning over time:

familyroomplan

I have decided to do this in (short) phases over what I’m hoping will be the next six weeks or so. Well, all but the extension.

First phase is taking down the wall, patching drywall and electrical. The lights above the fireplace need to be moved and the main light in the family room needs to be moved over.

We’re hoping to have that done by this weekend. We’ll see. :)

I say “we” because I am helping – it’s always been a dream of mine to knock down a wall. Dreams do come true people, they really do.

I considered trying this by myself but we have electrical and a gas line to figure out – I know my limitations so I’m getting help.

For now we will place the gas insert up against the wall so I can finalize the mantel design. I need time to ruminate over things too – that’s why I’ll do this in stages. Oh yeah, and the budget.

I’m still a little nervous about the furniture placement. We searched high and low for a “small” sectional years ago and it’s still basically six by eight feet:

familyroomplan

A beast. That’s another reason I’m going to let the fireplace just sit for a while – I need to decide the room/TV set up before we move any sound system stuff.

The next phase will be replacing our double windows in there with french doors. We’ll have to special order them anyway. I was initially planning to add another window off to the left of the space (where there’s already one now) – I was just thinking it would balance out the french doors. But now I’m thinking the one window is fine. I want plenty of space for the fireplace and built ins.

One of the biggest issues has been fixing the hardwoods. I had our flooring guy come by to take a look and he’ll be able to feather them in, but he’ll sand down quite a bit of the floors in the family room, kitchen and office and restain to make sure they are seamless. The price is great too – I was nervous about that part, but so far (crossing fingers) this will be a MUCH more affordable way for us to gain some living space.

Whew. OK, I gotta go move some furniture! So nervous, so excited!! Whoot! I’ll share progress as soon as I can! (If you follow me on Instagram I’ll probably update on this project while it happens.)

To see more of how our family room looks now, check it out here. (And you can see how we’ve tried to make it’s awkward layout work over the years.)

43 comments:

  1. Wow what an exciting day for you. Tearing down walls is SO fun. Hey, would you be able to switch your sectional to the basement and use your basement furniture upstairs? Just trying to think of other options if the sectional becomes a nuisance in your new floor plan. Can't wait to see the pictures :-) Nikki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of that last night! The family room one is just nicer and a better color for the room so I'll have to see. :)

      Delete
  2. So exciting! We have been talking about a roof over out deck for years now. We had another quote last weekend and guess what, it's done. Well not done, we still have to paint, stain and furnish. But the roof is up! Can't wait to see pictures of your project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! I can't wait to see how it turns out for you. Enjoy the demo, that's the best part! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is going to be fabulous. Can't wait to see it all come together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! I live in the Indy area and would love to know if your handyman allows you to give out his information. We are looking for someone who does great work and is reliable. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindsay email me and I'd be happy to share their number! They are great!

      Delete
  6. Would you be willing to share the name of the people you use for your hardwood floors? We live in Fishers and I've been dying to refinish/add flooring for years! Can't wait to see your finished project! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! If you want, email me and I'll get you his number. :)

      Delete
  7. Didn't you just have that area over the fireplace drywalled a year or two ago!? Seems like a waste to have that torn out.

    What about moving your desk to the former dining room area? You mentioned that your hubby works from there sometimes too. You could do a big 2-sided desk in the middle of the floor in there. Would look great with the bookshelves. Then you'd have your whole entire extended family room for lounging and seating. You could possibly fit your sectional in the "new" area too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had it done three years ago -- I never imagined we'd tear out a wall back then so it was a great solution. I have a plan for a work space in the family room but we'll have to see how it comes together. If not that's definitely an option!

      Delete
  8. Where is your black pendant light from in your family room?

    Sfisher18@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! What is your ceiling height? Mine is 9 feet and I worry it will be too low.

      Delete
    2. Ours is nine feet too -- I just kept two rings on the chain and hung it high. You could use one and it would be really high up there.

      Delete
    3. Thank you so much!!! I bought it and we are hanging it today:)

      Delete
  9. Exciting!! I know you are going to love your new layout! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Exciting! Are they having to add an beams for support? There is a wall I would love to tear down between our kitchen and dining room but it means moving electrical/water/load bearing wall...hubby says no...boo! Can't wait to see it all come together!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No -- luckily it's not load bearing so we don't have to do anything. I'm not sure we could have done it if it was because of the cost!

      Delete
  11. Best thing we ever did was tear down a wall between the kitchen and dining. You'll be so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So exciting! So much for room for activities!! (I hope you get that reference, it's from the movie Stepbrothers.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So excited for you guys and I can't wait to see the results.
    Vee

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good job! That's a big project. You've often talked about how you will let projects linger, so with the outside help you should be able to knock this one out.
    -Ash
    www.stylizedwannabe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, I feel like just yesterday you were talking about the remodel and knocking down the wall. How exciting! I can't wait to see how you change the room! It's gonna look amazing!
    Were in the middle of a garage, mudroom and kitchen addition, so I know how exciting this can be.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So excited for you! I know that corner fireplace has plagued you. You should send a thank you note to your handyman's other client who canceled since their resulting call to you must have been what sparked you to move ahead with this project. I look forward to reading updates as you progress.

    ReplyDelete
  17. In your current future sketch, think about flip flopping where you show the sofa and the chairs. I've seen a small desk with a chair used as a sofa table and it looks really cool. Just a thought as you're going through all your planning!

    ReplyDelete
  18. We just took our 3 bedrooms and a bath upstairs down to their studs. The men will be here next week to re-frame, then the electrician, the plumber and the drywallers. After it is all done hopefully it will be on the market and make us a lot of money so we can sell and move out of state. Good luck with all of your work and I hope the dust doesn't get you down.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Can't wait to see the progression!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was thinking about you & this project a lot today! (After your last post.) I was wondering how it was going. Glad you have help. It made me laugh that your handyman called you so he could fill a hole in his schedule! And you didn't disappoint. Ha
    Looking forward to updates.
    Chrissy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Tearing down a wall? Sounds really exciting! Can't wait to see the progress. Good luck with the project!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oooo how exciting! The room looks great already but i'm sure it's going to look great with the wall down too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. The big question is - will you choose a new wall color for the space? I have been agonizing over changing mine - so I would love to see what you're considering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I have been wanting to paint this room for years but kept putting it off. It's going to be a neutral but lighter. I'll talk about that more this week. :)

      Delete
  24. How exciting! I'm sure it will look great when they've teared down the wall, and I look forward to see some photos afterwards!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very excited for you, Sarah! Can't wait to see the progression!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I bet this new floor plan is going to be awesome! I love big, open areas like that. It's going to be great seeing the progress. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I agree! Get rid of that wall! I can relate to wanting bigger, open spaces. We have a typical Florida house, so somewhat open, but not exactly planned well. Not our forever home, so i'm taking notes! Can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Super exciting! It's been my dream too to knock down a wall, hopefully I will get to in the future. Hope everything goes well!

    - Lydia
    www.homesandallthatjazz.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  29. I can't wait! It's going to look amazing. Not only are you going to enjoy all of the extra space, I love how symmetrical the room is going to look with the fireplace perfectly between the doors/windows. And, all of those windows! It's going to feel like a sunroom!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I didn't read all the comments, so maybe someone has already mentioned this. Several manufacturers make "apartment sized" sectionals. I don't remember the dimensions,but they should be easy to find.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Bigger and open space sounds good! Good luck in tearing the wall. Looking forward for your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Power of an Investment is Dollar Invest, Now you can invest as low as $5 and get double profit within a week
    Dollar-inv.co

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE, love, love your comments! (I read every single one.)

If you have a specific question, make sure I can answer you back by adding your email to your google/blog account! And be sure to check out the FAQs tab at the top of the site. Due to the number of emails I get, I just can't get back to everyone.

THANKS so much for reading!