$13 planked wall (Finished fireplace!)

September 29, 2014

Hello all! Wow, what a full weekend! My husband was out of town so the kiddo and I played hard all day Saturday – all kinds of fall goodness. Sunday I worked my tail off getting the fireplace finished up, finally! It’s DONE!

I had a couple things left to do to get it done – I had already finished up the wall treatment above the fireplace and I’m really pleased with how it came together. I knew all along I wanted to plank the top wall, but I wanted to do it a little differently than I did last time. I wanted the planks to be much wider than the standard mdf or pine I usually use. So I went straight for the underlayment at the hardware store:

underlayment as wood planks

This is the stuff used under flooring and it’s SUPER cheap. I paid $13 for a big sheet. The nice guy at Lowe’s cut it down into strips for me – each one just over five inches wide.

The edges needed to be sanded down just a little bit – it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be though. Then I gave them two coats of my Peppercorn color and started the process of hanging:

installing wood planks

My wall is a little over 50 inches tall so I did some figuring to determine the width of each plank – I knew I was going to put some space between each one so I ended up with the five+ size. You can use anything you want as a spacer – I had my brad nails on hand so used those.

By the way, I painted the wall the gray color first – this is important if you’re going to leave any space between your boards.

I moved my “spacers” down each plank as I nailed them in, checking for level while I did it:

wood plank wall install

This install went really fast – the front part anyway. The only parts that took some time were around the outlet:

cutting wood around outlet

I used my jigsaw to cut out the spot for it. This wood is so thin I could have just scored it and broken it off really:

cutting planks around outlet You can see I’m no ace at the jigsaw. ;) Good thing nobody will ever see it.

I painted right over the outlet and the cover:

painted outlet

The sides took some time as well just because I needed so many pieces. These were installed the same way:

cheap wood planked wall

Because I needed so many boards that were the exact same size I just used my original as a guide to cut them all out:

I just lay it on top of the board, mark the line, cut, lay it down again, cut…it saves time instead of measuring every single piece.

You can see here how skinny this wood is – exactly what I was looking for!:

underlayment wood planks

The corners didn’t need to be perfect because I covered those with some corner molding.

I had finished all that up last week but still needed to touch up some spots. I also put one final coat on the entire fireplace – it needed three coats of the Peppercorn all together.

Here’s that same corner with the trim covering up those rough edges:

wood planked fireplace

I haven’t even filled the holes on the wall yet and I don’t think I will – they add a little rustic flair that keeps this area from getting too stuffy. That’s my excuse anyway. :)

When I designed this huge fireplace I knew the TV was going to have to go above. Not my first choice but it was the only way to make the layout work. So I had the guys make an inset in the middle of that upper wall for the TV to sit into:

TV above fireplace

We have it on a bracket that moves any direction – but when we push it back in you can’t see any cords at all. I LOVE that. Love love love:

TV above fireplace

I cannot believe this thing is finally done! I’m absolutely head over heels for all of it!:

gray fireplace

I went out of my comfort zone painting it that dark gray but I LOVE it. It feels good to branch out every once and a while. :)

We get such good light in here now the room can take it:

gray fireplace with built ins

I haven’t really decorated it yet – this is stuff I’ve had up here and I’m not sure it will stay. I’m not sure if I’ll keep the long box up there or not: herringbone tile

The mantel is so deep -- my possibilities are endless! I just want to play around with some things to see what works. For now it’s simple and I like it.

I had some gold candle sconces from Target to hang on either side of the TV but when we held them up last night both my husband and I thought they didn’t look right. It looked too busy. I think I’d still like to try something on either side perhaps, but they will need to be long and skinny:

peppercorn sherwin williams

The crown still needs to be painted and finished up there…I’ll tackle that all at once around the room.

If you remember we had to build the fireplace out this far because otherwise we would’ve had to get a permit to build a “doghouse” off the back of the house for it. That would have added quite a bit of time and lots of money so we went with this. It ended up working GREAT because we now have extra storage and a spot for the TV components on the sides:

TV component storage next to fireplace

A few of you asked and YES the remotes work through that metal sheeting! I LOVE that I have all kinds of junk in those cabinets right now and you can’t even tell. Buwhahaha. :)

We were going to hold off on any more construction till next year…but then I quickly realized I just wanted to get it all over with. So that window on the right will be double doors soon (I’m hoping within a month) and the bay window in the kitchen will get a makeover too. So I haven’t continued the molding in that area or painted anything – there’s no point till after we get that done.

But the big beast in the room is DONE!! It took me nearly a month!:

dark gray fireplace

I’m SO pleased with it. Now onto the smaller jobs in this room to get it finished up – paint, molding fixes, door trim, more paint and then some final decorating touches. This is taking waaaay longer than I thought it would but it’s been a pleasure along the way. :) Thanks for coming along with me, as always.

To see more about the dark gray color, go here.
To see how I cut the inserts out of the doors and what I used to cover them, go here.
For a tutorial on installing a tile fireplace surround, go here.
For tips on how to clean the glass on a gas fireplace visit here and more tips on sprucing up your fireplace here.

Email subscription form header
Your email:*
Please enter all required fields Click to hide
Correct invalid entries Click to hide

Comments

  1. Wow! It looks fantastic Sarah! Love it : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it ~ it looks great, except for the TV above the fireplace. {I've never been a fan of the TV above a fireplace.... I think it takes away from the fireplace. ~ just my opinion ~ but to each their own ~} :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't thrilled about the idea of it but it doesn't bother me at all. You do what you need to do. :)

      Delete
    2. Here's one of those instances where I think it looks great would be enough, honestly I get everyone is entitled to their opinion but for the love of God why does one always feel compelled to say what they don't like, I'm serious really I'd love the answer out of everything that could be said why something about what you don't like? (: Regardless…love it Sarah, can't even believe you went from the corner fireplace to this, it's gorgeous, love the tiling and the wood you used!

      Delete
    3. where is the "like" button for Laurie's post!? seriously didn't anyone learn the old "if ya can't say something nice don't say anything at all" saying?

      I love it :) the dark wall helps hide the tv very nicely. you've got some mad DIY skills!

      Delete
    4. I disagree. I like getting comments that say 'It looks great' on something I post but I also like the more critical comments. I can learn from them, see a project in a different perspective... I

      Delete
  3. I love it! It's balanced and beautiful. I think my favorite thing about it is that you were brave with your color choice, and it paid off big time. I also love how layered it is with all the wood work on the walls, the cabinetry, the mantel, and the planking. Somehow you managed to pull it all together in a way that doesn't seem busy at all. I also just noticed your painted surround speakers. Ours look the same, but are still white. I wonder if ours are paintable too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yep, I think they all are. I use a brush and knock most of the paint off or a sponge roller with most of the paint rolled off -- if you get any in the holes you can use a toothpick but if there's not much paint on there you should be fine! :)

      Delete
  4. Stunning!
    Dark grey is my new favorite color !
    Wishing I had a fireplace!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks amazing! I love the planks and they look so perfectly done. The dark gray was a great choice against the white wainscoting, a great blend of dark and light. I can't believe you are already moving on to replacing the windows with doors. I can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually would love to put our TV above the fireplace -- it think it looks much more clean and out of the way and love how yours looks. However, we don't have a huge room and I've always been afraid that it would be hard on our necks to watch. Have you found that to be the case? What about viewing from the side - is it hard to see? It all looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was worried about that too, especially since our TV is closer to our sofa than before. It just took some getting used to. Our bracket lets us pull ours down quite a bit so we pull it down and tilt it and it's not a big deal at all. When we're in the kitchen it's nice cause we can see it easily but you need a bracket that will allow for that. I see some that are super high and I don't think I would like that but this has worked well for us! Good luck!

      Delete
    2. Are the side cabinets pre made and you simple cut and added trim to the middle? We are building something similar for my son and daughter but now they want cabinets on the side? What are your dimensions of the cabinets! Beautiful work! Well done by the way.

      Julie

      Delete
  7. Beautiful, as always. Everything you do is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My goodness, I love love love it!!!!!! Love the color, love the setup, love the new room! You go girl! I am a longtime reader and don't comment much, but you go on with your bad self!

    -Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks absolutely amazing! I'm jealous of your deep mantle and storage - We have a set of builder-built cubbies for the TV and components, which fill up an entire wall, floor to about 12 feet up. Annoying. I'm thinking I might try putting in cabinet doors with that metal sheeting on the bottom - cover up some components and have another area for closed storage. Hmmm. Wheels are turning!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I looooove it! I pinned it because I might just paint out my white version down the road. And call me crazy, but I think you should paint that portion of the crown in the gray!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right -- I may try that to see how it looks!

      Delete
  11. Oh, btw, I did an entire wall in that underlayment over the creepy faux tile in my basement guest room and love it. I think I have a pic on Instagram if you'd like to check it out. About six months ago. (@loribell77)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sarah it is beautiful!! The finished product is just glorious!! I think the dark gray color is stunning and it helps the TV blend in a bit. Thanks for the tip on the underlayment - you have me thinking now :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh how beautiful, Sarah! It's so gorgeous. I love the dark gray paint.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks great. I agree with Lori you should paint the crown above it gray. The Petersiks (YHL) did that for the built-ins in their son's room, and I was surprised how it looked better than continuing the white all the way around. They have plenty of pics, so you can see what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am loving this idea. My home has an imposing brick fireplace that is not working for me. When I mention painting it, my friends are aghast! I'm hoping that I can build a framework around my fireplace that won't ruin the brick and allow me to cover it up to minimize its presence in the room.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing, of course! What did you use for the corner finish pieces?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mindy! They are just wood corner pieces you can find in the molding aisle -- down with the shoe and lattice and all that. :)

      Delete
  17. I love this! I love the color (and all of the natural light you get). :) That was such a big project. I can't believe how much you accomplished. Great job, Sarah. I wish we were as quick about getting things done. So many projects started around here. We have a few big ones coming. Four new windows (bye-bye drafty builder grade), 25+ boxes of hickory flintstock engineered flooring for the main level. I told my hubby, we are not starting any new ones until some of these others are finished. We have had molding that needed to go back on from the last batch of windows and around the 1/2 bath and laundry room floor. Happy to say, he got the 1/2 bath and the window molding up. :) Even our 7 yr. old commented, telling his dad, "finally, a project finished". Hubby didn't think he was too funny. ;)

    I am debating taking some gel stain and staining our kitchen island to match the new flooring. I want to take oak bead board and covering the three sides and staining that as well, then trimming it all out with wider oak trim. Just wondering how that gel stain will take on the bare bead board. Can't afford a full kitchen remodel, so we are just trying to make the best of these builder grade cabinets.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am SOOOOO doing this!! Just sent it to my husband for execution :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love it! You really did a nice job. Show us the whole area!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Incredible. Love how it turned out!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This turned out beautifully! Thanks for the tutorial and for the hint about painting the under wall the same color, too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. BEAUTIFUL!!! I have been a follower/lurker for a long time. You are amazing.
    I have never left comments before but HAD to for this one.
    as ALWAYS you did a fantastic job!!!
    Soooo IMPRESSIVE!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love love love your fireplace redo! That long box with the hydrangeas looks amazing, could you please share where it's from?

    xoxo, SS

    www.TheSouthernStylista.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jordyn! I made that box -- it was super easy: http://thriftydecorchick.blogspot.com/2011/07/diy-trough-thingy.html

      Delete
  24. You did a great job, Sarah! I really love it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gee it took you a month, it would have taken me at least 10 years. Is there anything you can't do? That box is still one of my favorite things you made.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love this color. The planks look great The color on the cabinets and on the planks and everything makes it look like a custom built in.
    -Ash
    www.stylizedwannabe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's absolutely stunning, Sarah. I'm amazed at how quickly you knocked this project out - so well done!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I loved the direction you where going with this fireplace the whole but after this last transition I think it looks a little bulky. I'm kinda hoping you'll paint the top white one day ;)
    But seriously, on it's own the planked wall looks amazing. I love that you left a little space between each plank, I would never have tought of that but it makes them look sophisticated I think!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love it, looks great and you did an awesome job! We've had our TV above our wood burning fireplace for almost 8 years now, it's out of the way, no one touches it so there's no fingerprints to clean and can be seen from anywhere in the room!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful job Sarah! I lOVE the tile and all the detailed molding you added.

    ReplyDelete
  31. That looks amazing! The color is so pretty and the new planking pulls it all together. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is seriously so beautiful!! I'm in love!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Perfection! Dark gray planked walls are one of my favorite things (I have them in two rooms in my house). The TV is no big deal... practicality needs to win sometimes, it can't always be about looks! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  34. It's gorgeous, Sarah, what a huge accomplishment!! I think I'd sit and stare at it like a new baby! :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love that you addressed the cable box & remote working through the cabinets! I HATE our cable box on top of our fireplace & now have an idea ;)!! It looks great & the amount of staging you can do on top & the sides ahhhhhhhmazing!!

    Paige.Rose
    www.TheQuaintSanctuary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love love love all of it, Sarah! I'm so excited that you did a plank wall with a TV mounted on it. We just DIYed our fireplace exactly like that and I got a bit of criticism about the TV over the fireplace. Seriously, WHAT is the big deal? Sometimes you have to actually live in the house you decorate (whoda thunk?) but I actually really like it. Then you're not stuck with a weird layout with an ambiguous focal point. I love that you chose the dark gray and those cabinets are a knock-out! I'm a tad jealous of all of your natural light too. ;) I know you have to be relieved this huge step is over now. Kick back and enjoy some TV time now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's grown on me too! You're so right -- I like that the focus of the room is all right there.

      Delete
  37. Luv the color, luv the wood planks, and will definitely use this idea on my fireplace. Our TV also sits above our fireplace; we enjoy watching both simultaneously. Comfy and cozy! I've notice you know a lot of builder's terminology. :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. WOW!! How clever that is! I would have never thought to use floor sheeting. Woohoo!!

    I too, have my TV above the gas fireplace. When I had a wood fireplace in my previous home, I would not put the TV there. I think you'll like it and it frees up some space. Especially since you thought out the versitility with the pivot brace. A job well done!


    ReplyDelete
  39. Thank you so much for this post!!! I have wanted to do ship lap in the foyer of our beach cottage, but didn't want to tackle hauling up all that wood. Underlayment is brilliant! I bet I can even put a wash on it to make it look beachy!

    PS. I love your tv over the fireplace. And no wires showing??? My dream!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Forgot to say that I really admire your vision for the new room.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Looks fabulous! Love the planked wall detail. Have a great week.
    Leslie
    House on the Way

    ReplyDelete
  42. I love this! It looks amazing! I'm glad to see you went back to the planked wall, too. I've got a post on my blog about how we mimicked your idea for my sisters fireplace makeover! We also have to mount our TV above our fireplace and actually really like it. No wires - very clean and everything looks fantastic. Lovely job!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Love the planked wall, love the dark grey, it all looks fabulous! Well done and thanks for inspiring me to do things that I might not have attempted before. I have always considered myself somewhat handy but you take things to another level (and if you can do it, I probably can too!).

    ReplyDelete
  44. Oh my goodness, it's gorgeous! I LOVE the planks. Last year I painted my mantel dark gray (Behr's Cracked Pepper) and I am still totally in love with the contrast between the dark gray and light walls. Amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  45. One word...LOVE!!!!!! I love everything about this! Really loving the wooden box on the mantle and seeing so many possibilities to decorate with it during the holidays...I see a new DIY project in my future! As always, thank you for your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  46. WOW & WOWSA. You are incredible girl. I am just out of breath thinking how you did so much of this transition. Big job but you made it seem doable. Am so blessed impressed. Love that wall with how you did the tv, good thinking ahead.
    I've heard so many different opinions on having a tv above a fireplace.
    If we could I'd love to do that but we don't have a fireplace and way our room is laid out with door ways, windows, pretty sure it wouldn't work. I like to change furniture around now and then also so don't think it would be doable for our living room.
    Sure enjoy seeing your room so handsomely turned out. Bravo. Happy days Been fun following your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  47. It's just wonderful! And took only one month? Wow. Well done. Chrissy

    ReplyDelete
  48. I love it. Everything looks amazing. Wish I had a fireplace to do this with! Well done.
    Hope http://sittingonmydockofthebay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  49. Wow, it looks amazing!! I LOVE the color too. So gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  50. What are your plans for the rug in your new family room? It might just be the photography, but it looks more powder or periwinkle blue next to the gray of your fireplace. Have you noticed that? Rugs are hard and I know you've made lots of rug changes in the past. Something warmer with some gray, gold and beige tones in it might work better now. Just wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  51. I've just found your blog and I have to say its quite amazing! A friend of mine tagged it on pinterest. In looking through your projects, I couldn't find one. Do you have information on how you hid the television wires? I have a fireplace already and am trying to figure out how I would get the wires in the wall, off to the side around the fire place, and down to the floor where your cabinets are.

    ReplyDelete
  52. OMG Sarah!!! Looks absolutely fabulous! So inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Seriously, amazing! LOVE! That tile makes my heart go pitter patter!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Such a gorgeous end result. Love the herringbone tile:)

    ReplyDelete
  55. It looks fabulous, Sarah! I am using that same wood right now for a plank wall in our main bath, but with dark gray walls and white planks. Now I'm thinking I should have reversed the colours after seeing this lol.

    ReplyDelete
  56. I realize this is a really old post but...... we are getting ready to install a fireplace and while I LOVE LOVE LOVE the big white fireplace surrounds, that would not work in our great room with dark espresso cabinets. I googled gray fireplace surrounds and found this in the results. Totally got goosebumps because THIS is it. Will look incredible in our living room. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  57. Hello Sarah!
    Obviously I am late for the party, I am just now reading your post. I have a fireplace that has a real brick chimney outside, so the mantle is essentially against the wall, with the fireplace box going back into the wall. I would like to do this process over the mantle to the ceiling.
    But I am unsure if it will look funny since the planks wll be flat on the wall over the mantle. How would I finish the planks on the sides? Or should I build a 2 x 4 box away from the wall and then plank that so that it will have at least some sides? I hope you can understand
    my question and I would love your opinion.
    Your project looks wonderful and Id really like to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  58. 8 years later and this post still inspires. I found your pic on Pinterest and I traced it back to here. So grateful! We’re starting this NOW!

    ReplyDelete

If you have a specific question I will do my best to answer you back here!

You can find our paint colors and links to items at the "Our Home" tab at the top of my site.

THANKS so much for reading!