Fall colors in Nashville, Indiana

October 21, 2014

We have had an incredible fall in Indiana! The trees are absolutely BURSTING with color this year! I know the intensity of the colors all depends on a certain mix of temps and rain and all that – so whatever happened this year was perfect because it’s been awhile since I’ve seen the trees look quite this vibrant.

We try to take advantage of all the fun stuff going on locally in Indiana during this time of year – there are SO many cool things we do every year. One of our family traditions has been a trip to Nashville, Indiana for a day.

We recently decided to take a trip down for a day to take everything in. It was an absolutely perfect time to see all the color. If you haven’t been to the Brown County area before and you’re within driving distance I highly recommend it. It’s great any time of the year – I really want to stay in a cabin in the winter sometime. But the fall is when this area really shines:

Nashville Indiana

The main street in Nashville is lined with TONS of shops and restaurants:

fall Nashville Indiana

There’s so many you can’t get through it all in one day.

It was a little chilly and we got some rain a couple times, but overall a lovely day. We walked up and down taking it all in:

Nashville Indiana in fall

We went to a few new-to-us places this year – the Rock Shop was one. We grabbed a bag of dirt and then took it over to “mine” it:

mining for rocks Nashville Indiana

One small bag contains a ton of beautiful rocks and fossils. We had a blast doing that – my son is now obsessed with rocks and it made me happy because I used to love them too. :)

The shops are all small and most are located in old homes and buildings. You’ll find handmade brooms:

Nashville Indiana shopping

Aren’t they beautiful?

There are a couple Christmas shops and we stop in one every year to add to the Bub’s Christmas village:

Nashville Indiana Christmas shops

And just fun little trinkets and gifts everywhere:

:) You’ll find wineries, breweries and amazing little treats like cinnamon sugar biscuits with apple butter as well.

Every shop is decked out with fall and Halloween decor:

downtown Nashville Indiana

It’s just filled with quaint areas and beautiful spots everywhere you look:

Nashville Indiana

Nashville was packed that day but we still got around just fine. We walked around for about four hours and then took off to Brown County State Park just down the street:

Indiana fall foliage

I grew up camping in this park so it was fun to take my son through it. The views were absolutely STUNNING. I was literally gasping at the colors everywhere we looked.

The seven-year-old thought it was cool too, just not quite as much as mom. ;) Brown County State Park Indiana

The park has a couple lookouts you can climb up and get great shots (where I got the ones above) but there are tons of spots to pull over and get a great view:

Indiana fall colors

We walked up to this lookout and a young couple had literally just gotten engaged. She was saying yes as we walked up and it was PRECIOUS. I took their photo and then got one of my own:

Brown County State Park lookout

I don’t think people realize the beauty that Indiana holds:

Brown County Indiana

We’re not all cornfields. ;) Although those can be quite beautiful too.

For a few weeks out of the year we get a spectacular show from Mother Nature:

brown county state park Indiana

And at this time and every other time of the year, there’s no place I’d rather be. Can you blame me?:

colorful fall trees Indiana

We probably have another week or so of these colors – and in southern Indiana where Nashville and the park are maybe a little longer. The leaves are really starting to drop here in central Indiana and I’m extra sad about it this year. It’s been a lovely fall.

Have you traveled to Nashville or been to our pretty state of Indiana in the fall? We’d love to have you. :)

Email subscription form header
Your email:*
Please enter all required fields Click to hide
Correct invalid entries Click to hide

Comments

  1. Beautiful pictures!! We took a trip down to Brown County two years, so pretty and so fun!! There's a lot to do in that area! :) We're from northern IN.
    Have a great week! xo Holly

    ReplyDelete
  2. When the Hubby and I travel we love to find hidden gems like this. I love the quaintness of the town and the unique shops. The state park is absolutely breath-taking. We just returned from the White Mountain of New Hampshire and enjoyed spectacular color. I just love this time of year. I wish is could last more than a few weeks. Luanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made this KY girl homesick as I grew up in Greenwood and hung out in Nashville. One of my favorite places ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, I totally agree with you...Indiana has been especially beautiful this year. I live in Pendleton and the colors have been so vibrant, especially during the last week. Thanks for sharing your lovely pictures. I haven't gotten down to Brown County this year, so I really enjoyed it through your lens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love visiting Nashville, and Brown County every year on our visits to Indiana University. My husband is an IU alum. We love Southern Indiana! Your pictures capture it beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun outing. The color there is spectacular!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing your beautiful photos of the fall season. I am in the Houston area and I am looking for signs. I finally spotted one little tree that was changing colors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello from Louisville! All the girls in my family try to make it to Brown County every year before Christmas because it's so beautifully decorated! We love it there. My husband and I have also rented a cabin a few times there in February.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my lands...thanks for sharing the pictures. I live in vegas= cement+brown. : / I miss fall so I have to live vicariously through pictures like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I am going to enjoy your colors. Ours are done here in western WI. It was a pretty fall this year. Wonder if it had to do with a cooler summer. It was cooler up here at least. We had maybe a week of actual hot weather. Just a lot of humidity and temps in the 70's this summer. We don't have any cool things to visit like that either. Wish I was closer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Live in Mooresville and we go down to Nashville every chance we get. The trees are especially beautiful this year (must be the all the rain and cooler temps) Christmas time is also very beautiful in Nashville, all the shops are decorated and it's just a festive atmosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We used to go down to Nashville, Indiana when I was at Indiana State University. I had never heard of the place until my parents took me there. I haven't been back in ages but would love to go back as it is a beautiful place with such unique stores.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So beautiful! I'm in drought ridden Northern California and we are dry dry dry! I'm envious of the gorgeous color! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! So very pretty. Georgia is still slow going in the leaf changing department!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, you've made this gal homesick! I moved to Texas two years ago after a few decades in the Midwest and never miss Indiana more than in the fall. The chill, the rain, the foliage, the smell in the air...there's nothing like it. Thank you for transporting me for just a few moments back to a place near to my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  16. P.S. Brown County has been a long-time favorite, as I graduated just up the road from IU and spent most of my post-college life in Indianapolis. Nashville was an annual escape from the city--and always in the fall. I always loved talking with the artists and craftsmen. Thanks again for taking me back...

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are right, I did not know Indiana had all those beautiful, fun areas. I would take you up on your offer to visit, but I am too busy enjoying the beautiful fall weather and scenery we are having in my own state. Our perfect rains this last summer, and again this fall, have resulted in beautiful scenery. Just today we enjoyed 76 degrees w/sunshine, and then this evening another drenching rain storm. I actually went out on my front porch just to take in the fall scents. Thanks for the beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, this made me miss Indiana this time of year! I grew up in Columbus, not far from there. We went back earlier this year and missed the beautiful fall. Thanks for the stunning pictures! xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Like everyone else this post made me miss Indiana in the fall just a little bit. I grew up in Linton and went to Nashville and Brown County SP at least once every other month. I went camping at BCSP with a friend 3 years ago but haven't been to Nashville in probably 20 years! I don't get back to Indiana often. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete

If you have a specific question I will do my best to answer you back here!

You can find our paint colors and links to items at the "Our Home" tab at the top of my site.

THANKS so much for reading!