Mix and match fabrics for decorative pillows

March 27, 2015

I shared this on Instagram the other day because I was just so excited to get these window seat pillows done. I picked out the fabrics a couple of weeks ago:
blue and green fabrics
I definitely wanted something colorful against all the white in the bay window and I LOVE how these all work together!
When it comes to mixing fabrics I usually go for a large print, a stripe or a solid and a smaller print. I find those work well together best – it can be hard to find a good combo!
All three are from Joann’s – the one on the left is an outdoor fabric, the one in the middle is a stripe and they had a few different versions of that. The one on the right is an HGTV fabric, love it!
I used old inserts I had laying around (hence the lumbar pillows) and I like how the different sizes work together: window seat with pillows I LOVE IT! Love love love. I know the dark blue especially will fade in the sun, but I’m going to do my best to rotate them often. Lately we rarely see the sun at all anyway. This was taken this morning and the sun is already gone. Boo.
Anyway, if haven’t mentioned it, I love them. I haven’t even sewn them up all the way yet, but they still look good. Who knows if I’ll get to that before the shower but I’m sure no one will notice. (If they do they get a cookie.):
window seat in kitchen
It makes it so much more comfy! I’m still deciding on the window seat cushion fabric – I think I’ll go with a lighter solid so I don’t have to worry about the sun.
I was getting so much done I worked on some new pillows for the family room too, including this blue ikat from Calico Corners:
board and batten walls
That one has a whole side that isn’t even sew up yet, gotta get that one done. I had some left over so I railroaded the fabric and did a lumbar pillow for my favorite chair – love!
I have sewn FIFTEEN pillows this week! That’s crazy. Fabric is such an easy way to update a space! There are always great sales at Joann’s and they let you use numerous coupons with each transaction. That is always awesome.
I’m off to clean and pick up supplies for the shower – hoping the sun comes out for that tomorrow! Anything fun planned this weekend? Have a great one and I’ll talk to you next week. :)
Email subscription form header
Your email:*
Please enter all required fields Click to hide
Correct invalid entries Click to hide

Comments

  1. Do you happen to know the name of the outdoor fabric on the left from JoAnn's. I love it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have any tutorials about sewing pillows? Do you sew the edges shut or create a fold to remove the insert? I need tips!

    LOVE the colors and patterns you chose. Blue and green are my favorite colors and color combination. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This color combo is absolutely gorgeous and exactly what I've been looking for for my living room. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the colors the patterns. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! Great combination of fabrics! Hope the Shower goes splendidly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Check out Sunbrella fabric - it's not suppose to fade, especially since it is used as materials for boat covers. liz

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just need you to come decorate my house, I love all of those fabrics!

    xoxo, SS

    The Southern Stylista

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those pillows are fabulous and I really like your choice of fabrics. Hope the shower goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic colours and prints...love the combo and I really love a pillow...I think they enhance most rooms! All I need now is a sewing machine...made the mistake of giving mine to my daughter who never uses it...she lives in the UK and I live in Portugal so no chance of bringing it over here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really great... I liked your post very much. The fabric and design is really very amazing. I love this color combination and I will try to replicate somewhere in my upcoming projects.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pillows are one of the best accessories. I have them all over the house and love changing them from time to time. I think your collection looks comfy and very stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was very useful for me. Keep sharing such ideas in the future as well. This was actually what I was looking for, and I am glad to came here! Thanks for sharing the such information with us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pillows do add character and coziness factor to a room. I wanted to add a note about bed pillows. I read a few stories while on vacation about the health of your bedding and how often you should clean and get rid of bedding pieces.

    After realizing what could be in the bunch of pillows on my bed, out they went and I bought a series of different sizes and firmness levels. I slept like a baby!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love all of the pillows. The window seat is looking amazing. You might want to consider the color fur of your fur babies before you go light or dark on the seat cushion fabric. I made one using a mid-tone green. I have a black Malipoo who barely sheds, however, the cushion seems to get black fur on it regardless. Just a thought. Again, fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete

If you have a specific question I will do my best to answer you back here!

You can find our paint colors and links to items at the "Our Home" tab at the top of my site.

THANKS so much for reading!