How to make a lazy Susan craft caddy

March 12, 2015

I got this turning pencil/craft caddy idea after I found all of these cute dollar pails at Target

This project is nothing new – I’ve seen it done a few times. But I have to be honest, I think this one is the prettiest I’ve seen. ;)

I started with this lazy Susan I got at IKEA years ago:

IKEA lazy Susan

It used to sit in the middle of our kitchen table. I’ve since moved it up to the craft space in the loft and we’ve just had random containers on it for supplies. I’ve been on the lookout for months for something cute to put everything in and haven’t found anything I liked…until those cute pails jumped in my cart!

This was seriously the easiest project ever. I gave it a very light sanding (which really wasn’t even needed – a good cleaning would have done just fine) and then spray painted the tray. Spray paint season is back baby!! Whoot! One of the best parts of warmer weather!

Then I used a drill bit and drilled a hole into the bottom of each pail:

target dollar metal pails

The metal is super thin so no special metal bit was needed.

Then I spaced them out and screwed them into the tray:

lazy susan craft supplies

So fun, right? SO EASY.

I filled it up with random supplies – markers, pencils, paint pens, brushes, scissors and craft scissors:

dollar pails craft caddy

I did my best to space them all out evenly – I didn’t measure anything:

lazy susan craft caddy

That space in the middle was calling out for something fun so I grabbed one of the aqua jars from my dollar spot stash and filled it with daffodils from the kitchen:

turning craft pencil caddy

I mean, come on. Cuteness!! It makes me happy just looking at it!

A few of you have asked about the butcher block from the “old” island. I brought it up here on the DIY craft table. I LOVE the wood in this space!:

wood top on craft table I shared my plan for this room earlier this year – I’m hoping to give it a whole new look with built ins and more color. I’m getting quotes next week on the flooring to get an idea when we can move forward in here. The other half of this room is our “hallway” upstairs (even though there are no walls) and the carpet over there is just so gross. We’re nearly eleven years in and it’s time to replace it.

The butcher block will stay in the new design – I’m keeping it as a craft table, just in a different way than this one. :)

This little caddy is so fun and cute – and the fact that it turns is pretty fantastic too. Functional and it looks good, two of my favorites!:

DIY easy craft table I may or may not have taken three trips to Target to grab more pails. I got three at first, then figured out I wanted to do this project and went back for two more, then decided I am OCD and needed six – three sets of two matching pails. So yeah…without the gas costs this cutie only cost me six bucks. If you have an IKEA nearby the lazy Susan is only $8. :)

I was thinking, if you don’t have a tray like this a simple piece of wood distressed, stained or painted would be cute with the pails screwed in. Really the possibilities are endless to do something cute with them.

Email subscription form header
Your email:*
Please enter all required fields Click to hide
Correct invalid entries Click to hide

Comments

  1. I love this idea! I have a lazy susan just like that! I haven't been using it but just hung onto it. I am so gong to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time I go to Target I look at these pails and think how adorable they are. This project takes them to a whole new level. Super creative and functional!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute. I love that you attached the pails so they don't come tumbling off. It's great to have all these supplies at your fingertips. Now I'm going to have to do something with my own little Target pails.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this project! I might have to steal the idea. I'm getting my toddler and wooden table and chair set for "crafts". This would be perfect for the table top!

    Antonella

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have used magnets to hold down the pails....so you could remove them to bring a pail closer to a project or for cleaning. But I love the concept!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are going to homeschool our kids next year and I think this entire set up would be really useful for that. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great little project! So versatile and you can use it for literally everything and anything!

    Can't wait to see what you are doing with the loft!

    Lauren | LB Designs
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how you used the pails! On my own blog I just used them as they were for desk storage, but I love it more with the lazy susan!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Please don't use the term OCD so lightly. living with OCD is very challenging.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm thinking of a silverware caddy on the kitchen table!lll.....great idea Sarah!

    ReplyDelete

If you have a specific question I will do my best to answer you back here!

You can find our paint colors and links to items at the "Our Home" tab at the top of my site.

THANKS so much for reading!