Metallic Christmas Table

December 04, 2011

I’ve wanted to change up the centerpiece in the dining room for some time now – I love those glass candleholders in the framed out mirror, but it’s been a couple years now and I was craving something different!

I tried a few different ideas, none which were it. And then finally…it came to me.

I swear anymore I have to sit on a space mentally for about six months before the final idea comes into my noggin. But once I’ve figured it out in my head, I usually love the result. This time is no different. (Thank goodness. Whew.)  ;)

I started with a few trips to a few different Goodwill stores. I was on a mission – a mission for brass candlesticks:

You know – the ones you see gracing the shelves on every trip into Goodwill? And of course when I decided to do this project, they were harder than heck to find. Sheesh. It’s like brass is coming back or something. ;)

I have a confession to make…I actually kind of liked these as they were. Kind of. Kind of more that I’d like to admit. They were more antiqued brass than shiny brass. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

But I had a vision in mind, and that vision included spray paint:

I started by spreading them all out in the garage:

brass candlesticks

Then sprayed them all with a primer:

Then I put them into three groups and sprayed each one in a different metallic color. One group was Krylon Caramel Latte, one was Krylon Nickel, and one was Valspar Gold.

Let me tell you – that gold color was BEAUTIFUL. It is really awesome – although I hated the new nozzle. It was SO hard to spray with.

When they were dry, I just mixed the different colors in the mirror centerpiece, then filled it with bits of greenery and green and brown ornaments:

I tried to vary the heights as much as I could, but otherwise they are just on there, no rhyme or reason:

The place settings are pretty standard – white dinnerware I got from HomeGoods a while back (I wanted to brighten up the table so I sold the dishes and place mats that we used for years), my goblets from Goodwill and the sparkly brown bulbs that sit in the bowls were from Hob Lob years ago.

When I got it all together, I wanted to add the napkins to the table but didn’t have any napkin rings that worked.

I was standing in the garage when I saw my solution -- I grabbed a cardboard roll that some fabric came on, cut it down on my saw and got these:

After sanding down the edges and then spraying them in the gold Valspar spray paint, I got some very quick, very free DIY napkin rings:

cardboard napkin rings

And I gotta say, I really like how they turned out!

I love how the candlesticks give some height to the table, but you can still see through them:green and brown christmas table

The metallic colors are so pretty and I figure they’ll work all year round – it looks beautiful without the Christmas filler too!:
brass candlestick centerpiece

I wanted to keep the green and brown theme in this space to go with my Walmart ornament vignette I put together last year:

All of the ornaments were a buck and all of them are SO FUN!:

green and brown christmas vignette

I was totally bummed to see that Walmart doesn’t have all of these ornaments again this year! They still have a bunch of pretty sparkly ornaments for cheap, but not quite as cute as these were.

Of course, just like any Christmas decor – the table looks most magical at night:

Wowza! I love it!!

Candlelight – I don’t think you can beat it! It’s just beautiful.

Makes you want to cook a four course meal at 10 p.m. on a Sunday for your husband and eat by candlelight beautiful:

green ikat placemats

Of course I don’t keep the candles lit if we’re not in here, which is OK, cause I love it when they’re not lit too.

But there’s some definite magic when the only light comes from the candles and the tree:

LOVE!!

The total cost was probably around $30? The candlesticks ranged from $1 to $3 each and I had all of the spray paint colors but the gold color. I think that one was $5. It took me about an hour to spray paint all of the candlesticks.

Not too shabby for a new look in the dining room – and one I’m a little giddy over:

brass candlestick redo

Do you see those chairs? Yeah…that’s another project I’ve been sitting on (HA! Sitting on…get it?) for the past six months or so. ;) Can’t finish those till I finish the drapes, and I don’t want to finish the drapes till I decide if I’m going to repaint the room.

So…yeah. :)

*You can see how I created the original centerpiece here.

Email subscription form header
Your email:*
Please enter all required fields Click to hide
Correct invalid entries Click to hide

Comments

  1. Oh wow, just stunning! I love the various metallic candlesticks! Looks fab Sarah! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have NEVER known that the napkin holders were from a cardboard roll. So smart, and this is exactly why I need to follow your blog for ideas like this. The table looks incredible. I love all of the different sized candlesticks and from a peak in one of the pictures, your tree looks stunning!

    xoxo,
    Carly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just gorgeous! I really love the photo with the tree captured in the background - so lovely and traquil, but in a festive way. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. very pretty!! I made your original centerpiece - http://thefrugalhomemaker.com/2011/11/21/guest-posting-over-at-brownsugartoast-today/ so I am a little partial to it.

    BUT, I do have to admit the candlesticks are pretty! And I LOVE how you made the napkin rings - so stealing that! :) should have some empty wrapping paper rolls around here in a week or so - so I could have napkin rings in every color. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that second to last picture with the reflection of the tree in the mirror! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely beautiful and so creative!!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely. Gorgeous... I so love the idea of mixing the mettalics! I shall steal it.....just a heads up. Every year at this time I remember that it was Christmas when I found you- and I still love seeing all of your ideas come to life! (and when I say I found you I mean it in a non-creepy, non-stalker kind of way.....ish...)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another fantastic idea! I lost all of my favorites a while back but went looking for the Walmart Christmas Vingette idea and have rediscovered your site. (I think I originally found you from a link on BeckyHiggins.com) And now I'm finding that I am once again addicted to your site and spending way too much time here. :/ I re-did the Christmas Vignette again this year and it looks great. Thanks for all of the great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very ELEGANT! I'm not usually a fan of gold and prefer silver over it but I really like how you mixed the gold and silver. There is a real softness to it, especially with the candles all lit up. :) Your dining room is gorgeous and it has pushed me to get a start on mine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the tall candles! And now for the big question... where's the best place to buy them? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I m crazy about your centerpiece -- it is just a show stopper. The whole table is nicely pulled together, and you are so thrifty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. By far the most gorgeous centerpiece idea I have seen on the web so far. Amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your center piece is beautiful! I can't imagine how much it would cost if you bought this in a store. I have lingered over the brass candlesticks at GW before, but haven't purchased any. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  14. ooOOOoo. That is a fabulous centerpiece. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. looooove the night time pics - you are so right about the nighttime holiday lights magic!

    ReplyDelete
  16. VERY ELEGANT! I LOVE IT!!! I have to try that motif next year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Really pretty, and love the reflection of the tree in your mirror. I find this to be a very romantic look.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! So incredibly beautiful and intimate. And your placemats are pretty fab too! Well done:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this look, the candles look so warm and welcoming, I'm doing a gold and purple theme so will sneak some of these elements in :-), thanks! x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! Looks beautiful! I love how you sprayed all the candlestick holders different colors. My favorite is the cardboard napkin holders! Oh my I would have never thought of that:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great minds think alike:) did this last year and I still love it. http://cleverlyinspired.blogspot.com/2010/12/candlesticksand-more-candlesticks.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love to see how you always put your talents to such good use.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautimous!!! There is nothing like the soft glow of candlelight. :) Your table is lovely, Sarah. :) Job well done! Pinning this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. This came out great! I love the idea and all the great new use for those old brass candle holders out there. Happy Holidays!
    Karah @ thespacebetweenblog

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the painted candlesticks. Was there a lacquer finish on them and did you have to do something with them before you put the primer on? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You have definitely inspired me! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very pretty! I've done something similar on my round table with my brass candlesticks except in a much smaller size. Yours is a.b.s.o.l.u.t.e.l.y gorgeous! Zowza!

    ReplyDelete
  28. The table is gorgeous! Candles always look better en masse ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oooooh, I just happen to have a cardboard roll like that from the Dollar store fabric I bought for my mantel. Yay, free napkin rings! Thank you for the idea.

    And I love your table centre. Love.

    Have a great day, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love the look of all of those candlesticks! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a beautiful table vignette! Want to come to Charleston to do mine?? :) he he

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is so beautiful! I love the mix of metallics!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love your table....I had a post about mine today too!! Your candles are such a great idea and looks so festive, thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Beautiful! I always see various brass candlesticks at Goodwill and this is a great way to use them! I also LOVE Valspar gold...I bought a can for a project and feel like I want to use it on everything. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Just started following your blog and I absolutely love your table. It turned out amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Gorgeous! Where do you get all these ideas? Very creative, and what a result! May just have to copy, I mean, be inspired by, this project!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love this! It's just beautiful. Goodwill is always great for getting things on the cheap, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  38. Just beautiful Sara! I needed some inspiration this morning to get my decorating mojo going. Thanks! And I hope brass is coming back...I haven't gotten around to getting rid of mine...LOL...and that would save me some time:)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Love love love the whole setting! I've pinned it and am def planning to do something similar for my table. And how lovely is it that your Christmas tree reflects off the dining room mirror?!?

    ReplyDelete
  40. Gorgeous! I'm doing my dining room and living room decorating in gold and silver this year--what a great idea for the centerpiece. I'm wondering what the white rectangular piece is that you have them all in--a mirror or window sidelight maybe?! Please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Great pics! Really love the "money" shot - the tree reflected in the mirror. It just does not get any better.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Oh, So Pretty!!! I am new to your site, but I will definitely be picking up every apothecary jar I come across. I love them but wasn't quite sure what to do with them!! One day I want to have my dining room decorated and I love the chocolate color (right now it is my front living room and my front living room is my preschool)..one day...in the future...I am soooo inspired!!! I just bought a slip cover for my couch, was scared, but LOVE it. Much cheaper than a new couch, so I am major inspired to decorate around it. So glad you share all your projects! I got rid of all my husbands copper candlesticks. AHHHH! I am awakened to the possibilities of spray paint!!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. So glad to have found your blog - you continue to inspire me to be thrifty and decorative. One thing I would like to mention to you - I know WalMart has great prices, but honestly, they treat their employees abominably! I have been boycotting them for years and hope you will take a moment to look on the internet and see how really bad they are. Everything else about your blog, however, is perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Ahhh Sarah, beautiful! I bought the Walmart ornaments last year after seeing your gorgeous vignette and we just decorated for Christmas....then I was so inspired by your table centerpiece that I made my own version, I'm so looking forward to "Christmas-ing" it up! =)

    ~ Mara @ Super Savings

    ReplyDelete
  45. Wow; this is amazing! It's hard to believe it came from Goodwill! I see so many candlesticks there, but have never thought of this! Thanks for providing such an inspiring piece!

    ReplyDelete
  46. That looks fabulous! I especially love the night look too. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Gorgeous table! And thanks for the tip on the link party!

    ReplyDelete
  48. I LOVE those candlesticks....I am always tempted to snatch them up at goodwill but I never do! They look spectacular! And I think that the green and brown color combo is sooooo fabulous! Love it as always, your a genius:)
    Tabitha @ simply home cents

    ReplyDelete
  49. I LOVE those candlesticks....I am always tempted to snatch them up at goodwill but I never do! They look spectacular! And I think that the green and brown color combo is sooooo fabulous! Love it as always, your a genius:)
    Tabitha @ simply home cents

    ReplyDelete
  50. That looks gorgeous Sarah! I'm always having the same issue with centrepieces - I want height, but I'd rather be able to see across the table! What a great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  51. Stunning is the word! I love it! What a great idea with the candlesticks!

    ReplyDelete
  52. I totally agree - nothing like candlelight and christmas tree light - gives me the "christmas chills."

    ReplyDelete
  53. Very pleased to find this site. Thanks for taking the time to share this.Home Decor accessories come in a huge range of choices, you can narrow them down by selecting a theme for your room.

    ReplyDelete
  54. I love, love, love how your centerpiece turned out! I love the brown and green. I actually got alot of those green trees and round ornaments last year too, and was sad when they didn't have them again this year. I ended up with brown snowflakes instead and used those with the green round ornaments for my hurricane jar.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Wow, what a beautiful centerpiece. I thought it looked nice unlit but when you posted the pictures with the candles lit - gorgeous! I also love your placemats and the brown and green theme.

    ReplyDelete
  56. So pretty!! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  57. You totally inspired me! I went to the thrift store today and got 11 brass candlesticks plus a candelabra for $20.. going to spray away tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  58. That centerpiece is breathtaking. Well done! I pinned your napkin rings on Pinterest. I really enjoy your blog and thanks for sharing your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  59. love the centerpiece! I have found 13 candlesticks so far and will look for a few more to complete this project. Thanks so much for the inspiration :)
    Did you find that the same size candle fit in all of them, some of the candlestick holes seem bigger than others but we will see!

    ReplyDelete

If you have a specific question I will do my best to answer you back here!

You can find our paint colors and links to items at the "Our Home" tab at the top of my site.

THANKS so much for reading!