Pottery Barn wood art knock off

September 17, 2012

Earlier this year I showed you  how I added some family photos to a small wall in our family room:

red blue neutral family room

That little wall is kind of awkward and it was hard to figure out what to put on there – it’s not big, but big enough that it needed something substantial. I couldn’t do a mirror because of the mirror on the mantel. So I ended up with a collage of family photos.

I loved having them up there, but there was something about it that drove me a little batty every time I walked by – it just seemed too busy. There was a lot going on on that side of the room.

So for months I’ve been trying to come up with something to put on that wall. I couldn't think of a THING for the longest time. The frames stayed till a couple weeks ago when I had had it and took them down. But the blank wall was almost as annoying for me as the frames…so I got started on an idea that had been growing in the noggin for awhile.

I was inspired by rustic wood art pieces at Pottery Barn that are no longer available unfortunately. 

One was 50 inches square and costs $400 – yowza. I liked it but putting it together looked like I’d have to actually use some math, so I decided against that one.

I liked the one on the right even more anyway, and it looked wayyy easier to copy. I had some scrap luan plywood  in the garage, and the width was perfect – I just cut the length down to about 36 inches with my jigsaw:

Then I grabbed some scrap pieces of lattice wood and started laying it out:

This wood is pretty cheap and I use it quite often, so I had a decent amount of leftover pieces. I just laid out them out, figuring out what needed to be cut down as I went:

DIY pottery barn wood art

It was like a puzzle and actually quite enjoyable to figure it all out. I did need to go buy a few more of the lattice pieces to finish it up, and I cut those down in random sizes too.

I went ahead and nailed it all on the board when I was done laying it out, and like ALWAYS, saved my painting till after it was put together. I know some of you think I’m crazy for doing that, but it’s just one of my things…I need to see it together and get that accomplished before I paint.

And I wasn’t even sure what paint colors I wanted to use – I figured that out after it was nailed together. It wasn’t a big deal to paint afterwards, I just used my Frogtape to tape off each one:

DIY pottery barn wood art

I was able to reuse the tape over and over. If I had painted beforehand I would have had to wait for each piece to dry before installing – so the time I took to tape off was the same that I would have had to wait for the paint to dry. At least that’s what I tell myself. ;)

I wanted to use paint I already had, so I used a red color, a grey blue that I used on the back of the dining room built ins called Storm Cloud, the color we had painted in our living room and stairway, called Analytical Gray, and I was trying to figure out a fourth color to use as well.

I dug through the paint stash in the basement and found the wall color for the family room, called Sisal. It still needed some more color so I also threw in the peacock color I used in the Bub’s book nook:

DIY pottery barn wood art

I know it looks random, but I had a plan for it later that I knew would help make it work. The red was bothering me though – it was just too bright. So I grabbed the Chocolate Cosmos color I used on the front door and repainted those boards:

DIY pottery barn wood art

Much better!

Like I said, I had a plan to make them a little more cohesive still, and the first part of that was to use my Annie Sloan clear wax to cover the whole thing:

annie sloan clear wax

It gave it more of a matte look, which is what I wanted. It took less than two minutes to wipe it on quickly and wipe off any residue. When that was dry I went over the whole thing with the AS dark wax as well, just to tone down the colors even more. If you don’t have wax, stain would work much the same way, but you need very little of it!

(Sorry I don’t have pics of the dark wax part, I did that at night. I just wiped it on, wiped it off.)

After it was dry I painted some extra lattice the Storm Cloud color and added a frame around the art:

The waxes took away the shiny look, but left the (toned down) color:

The size is PERFECT for that spot, and the colors work perfectly in our family room!:

DIY pottery barn wood art

I went out on a limb with that peacock color, but I’m so glad I did! I love the added pop it gives the whole thing! And I use a bit of that color in the kitchen, so it helps to tie the rooms together.

It has different looks based on the direction you look at it – more subdued this way:

DIY pottery barn wood art

But deep and rich from the other direction:

DIY pottery barn wood art

It matches the colors in that little bowl on the mantel perfectly!

I thought about sanding it down like the PB version, but it was rustic enough as it was, so I didn’t want to do anything more to it. I love mixing up styles like this – the rustic look of the art with the more contemporary rug makes this space interesting to look at but still cozy. (At least I think!) ;)

I love how it turned out – even better than I imagined! Although now I don’t know if I want to keep it there -- I think it would look awesome in the basement! But for now it’s staying. :)

The PB version is 22.5 inches square and $150! My version is 26 by 36 inches and cost me $15 in wood (I had most of it already):DIY pottery barn wood art

Not bad, eh?? I love this because you can customize the colors to work for your space so easily!

This one did take me some time – figuring out the layout went pretty fast, it was the painting that took a couple hours. 

Email subscription form header
Your email:*
Please enter all required fields Click to hide
Correct invalid entries Click to hide

Comments

  1. LOVE it! This was on my knock off to do list already and now I really can't wait to do it. great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is incredible! I bet I could make a smaller version using some paint sticks too?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are always so creative! Looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic statement piece. I like the peacock blue too...really pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! I saw that in the Pottery Barn catalog and had the same idea. Glad it worked! Beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love this! The colors with the wax on top are perfect in that spot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been wanting to tackle this project for awhile. Yours turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool art piece!
    Is there any thrird monday before and after party this month? I thought i read somewhere it was basement week??

    Let me know! thanks!! :-)

    selina@fusemail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. That turned out so good! Love that little punch of color and the layout. Creative and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks amazing!! And, I love that you can customize it to your decor.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the wood art...I too saw it in the Pottery Barn catalog and fell in love with it...anxious to try my own version in coppers and greens...Am a great fan of your blog ...very inspiring...

    Tinglelaneprimitives.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. It turned out very well and looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks perfect. I also had been wanting to do the same project, love the look, especially since you can pick your own colors! Yours came out very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  14. you did an amazing job! and it looks great in your living room!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Totally love it! I have had my eye on that wood artwork too, but not can do with a price like that. You have inspired me once again!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it! What a frugal way to add color and texture to the room.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the pop of color it added. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great job as always - love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. LUV seeing Dave Ramsey on your blog!!! He is our hero! Hubs facilitates Dave's FPU at our church.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ha, I saw the PB catalog and was thinking about trying this too. So glad to see how well it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I LOVE how this ties in the colors from around the room perfectly, how serendipitous! It turned out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very cool! I have a similar wall next to my tv and I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. I had thought about a collage, lol. I do see how it could be distracting. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great color choices.
    Deb@LakeGirlPaints

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh la la! Love this, Sarah! I think I like yours out of all of them! Great job. <3 Heidi Rew from Parties for Pennies

    ReplyDelete
  25. I definitely need to do this for my dining room wall - it is large and in charge, and I don't think I will ever find something big enough to fit that is also in my budget. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I really, Really, REALLY Love this.... I just might have to do one for my baby girl's nursery. Maybe with her big wooden initial over the top of it???

    ReplyDelete
  27. Perfect timing for some inspiration! I may try my hand at this one and knock off the knock off!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I LOVE this!! Great job, I think I like yours better than the Pottery Barn version!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This looks lovely! I've wanted to do something like this, but I didn't think of using lattice board! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is a fantastic way to use reclaimed wood of any kind. Even for an outdoor art piece using old decking or fence lumber and outdoor paint or stain it would be a great way to dress up a plain section of the back of your house. You have inspired me to take this to the next level, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a great piece and I love the colours. Amazing price difference too :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love it! What a great way to DIY something that is probably way too expensive and overpriced at good old PB. Thanks for some awesome inspiration as always!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love this! I wonder if I can do something similar with my leftover wood shims...

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love, love, love this piece. I've been looking for something to fill the space above the buffet in my dining room. This is it!

    ReplyDelete
  35. That is a cool art piece that I really want to try. As an artist,though, I have to point out that your picture is hung too low. When hanging art, it's better to have more space at the bottom than the top and other two sides. Just my two cents! Love this blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thank you Anon! I actually tried it higher and it looked weird. :) At this height the middle of it is eye level for me and I'm tall, so any taller looked off.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love this! I have a bunch of shims I could probably do this with! Great job! I 'stumbled' it!
    Barbara at Chase the Star

    ReplyDelete
  38. I like yours better than the original.

    ReplyDelete
  39. So glad I'm not the only one who saw those in the catalog and immediately thought of doing my own custom knock-off! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Haven't seen the PB one, but yours is beautiful and I can possibly see a monogram temporarily centered on it at Christmas! Hve to keep this in mind for pops of color I'll need!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I really love your color combination and how it pulls all of the colors in that room together.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  42. it turned out beautiful, you did a great job on it!

    ReplyDelete
  43. LOVE this! Such a great color combo!

    ReplyDelete
  44. This is AWESOME! I like yours way better than the PB version. You are, by far, my fav blogger. I love you, but my husband now has a love/hate relationship with you due to my never ending to do list that keeps growing and growing and growing.. :)

    Thanks for all your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Wow, you nailed it perfectly. (hahah) The blues look great together, and it is very rich looking. well done.
    juls

    ReplyDelete
  46. Really awesome! You did a great job - ah you inspire me so! Absolutely love the design and colors!! Thanks for sharing this idea with us less creative folk.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Great idea! The colors work really well. I love the tips you have on this site!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Sarah, this is really gorgeous! I love the colors and the results. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  49. I love almost everything you do, but this one is EXCEPTIONALLY loved! I only wish I had the creative eye like you do! Luckily, I know you won't mind if I ever find time ti add that fabulous piece to my house!!!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Aww, Sarah, I love this! What a wonderful job! I really can't imagine paying PB prices for most anything and I LOVE figuring out ways to do their stuff on my own on the super cheap ;)

    ReplyDelete
  51. I wish my brain worked like yours....just look at something and know what to do to get the same results....amazing! You need to sign it so it will be worth billions. :) You are an artist!

    ReplyDelete
  52. This is a really cool project! I love that you used items that you already had. Are you in Indy? I am moving to Greenwood soon, and live in Columbus right now.

    ReplyDelete
  53. This is fantastic looking. The aqua color really is perfect! Great job and so inspiring. Makes me want to get one together.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Hi,
    Great project! I like it much better than the original red and way much better with the dark wax. Those are the kind of colours I like - muted but still with lots of life.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  55. Love this! I'm always excited to see wall art that I could actually make ....which means I can paint, cut sand and nail, but not actually paint a picture. This is awesome! I want to try it soon, and I'll be sure to link back to this....very inspiring! If we didn't have a tornado watch I'd be headed to Lowes for some lattice now...

    ReplyDelete
  56. Wow! It looks like you could have spent a fortune on it! Thanks for the great idea...I have lots of empty walls in my house. :)

    ReplyDelete
  57. Did you use tiny nails and sink them? I love this and wanted to incorporate some fiestaware colors I have in my kitchen without going bright orange on the walls...this could be the perfect compromise!!

    ReplyDelete
  58. Very cute! No one has mentioned the adorable pillow! Where did you find that little beauty? Are you tired of it yet? If so, I will send you my address.... ;-)
    Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  59. Maureen I used short finishing nails. The nails came out the back a tiny bit but I put felt pads on the back so they wouldn't hit the wall. :)

    ReplyDelete
  60. Great job! You know, you mentioned that you might not keep your new creation where it is in your family room mentioning it would look better in your office, I believe. What do you think about putting something round in that space rather than square or rectangular? The fireplace is square, the mirror above it rectangular, and the chair under the wood art has some sharp edges. . . I think something roundish might be a nice softening contrast. Whatchya think?

    ReplyDelete
  61. You did good! This is a great project. I think I am going to pin this and do it on a "down" day. Gonna have to buy the supplies when I hit the "Depot" today. Whoops, I mean Lowe's since I have a return there today! Making your own incorporates "your" colors making it perfect, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  62. This is amazing!! Working on the planning stages of redoing my living room, thinking of doing this when I have the colors planned. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  63. LOVE the colours you used! That brighter shade of blue in there was definitely the right choice. Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  64. Wow, Great Job!! I love it too, it turned out perfect. And soooo much cheaper than purchasing one!
    Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete
  65. This looks awesome Sarah! Good job. BUT---I'd really like to see it in the room as a whole, like the first pic at the top of your post. Like a before/after... :) Any chance we could see that?? I think I'm going to have to copy this for that bit of wall over my piano that I couldn't figure out what to do with!! Thanks so much. LOVE your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  66. I love this art. I have been looking for a large piece for my living room forEVER and this will fill the bill nicely. Another project on my to-do list! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  67. I did something similar only w/out the painting (saved time!) using wood a friend had lying around outside for a few years. Turned a few pieces sideways to make 'shelves'. Turned out beautifully. It's 5' x 3'. See it here: http://imageshack.us/a/img189/4616/41138410151020632691034.jpg

    Used the scraps to make picture frames as well. Just could not bring myself to paint these puppies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  68. Wonderful job! I'm a wood worker by hobby and love the PB stuff but their prices can be ridiculous and are very easy to 'knock off'. I like your pice and the colors much better than PB!

    ReplyDelete
  69. I LOVE this and was wondering if you would mind sharing how you did the frame around the plywood? Did you just nail the small frame into the side of the plywood? it doesn't seem like it would be thick enough to do that. Thanks, love all your stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  70. sorry forgot to add my email address (I don't have a google/blog account). its cewilson869@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

If you have a specific question I will do my best to answer you back here!

You can find our paint colors and links to items at the "Our Home" tab at the top of my site.

THANKS so much for reading!